Carrizo Plains Hunting Areas

Hunt&Done

Apr 23, 2019
This might sound like another dumb question but I'd rather look stupid than be stupid with a ticket and license and firearm taken away.

I called up the headquarter office to get more details on where walk on hunting is allowed.
Gentleman said that anywhere in the area as long as it's 1/2 mile or more away from certain locations such as Painted Rock, Soda Lake, etc.
I questioned him if only South Chimineas allowed walk on hunting (with a pass) and he didnt' seem to know.
Can anyone tell me if walk on hunting is only permitted in South Chimineas?
From what the following site shows, that is the case
but it doesn't mention anything about American Ranch Unit which is also part of the Carrizo Plains.
Why I ask is because the following site shows open access no permit needed.
Also, google maps shows American Ranch Unit with unblocked dirt roads off of Soda Lake Rd which tells me I can just drive up on there.
Any help on this area would be greatly appreciated.

Hunting Opportunities
  • Except for special events, access to the North Chimineas Unit is prohibited.
  • All portions of the South Chimineas Unit located south of Highway 166 are closed to all access and hunting.
  • All persons entering the South Chimineas Unit need to have an access permit in their possession while they are on the property. Access Permits are on the website.
  • Please deposit the completed access permits in the collection boxes at the parking area or at the Caliente trailhead upon leaving.
  • Hunting is allowed for dove, quail, wild pig, and rabbits during CDFW sponsored hunts and on the walk-on days listed below while the appropriate season is open.
  • Walk-on hunting access is allowed only from Highway 166 on the following days:
    • September 1-15 (Wednesdays and Saturdays only) - Dove, Wild Pig, Rabbits
    • December 1-31 (Wednesdays and Saturdays only) - Quail, Dove, Wild Pig, Rabbits
    • January 1-31 (Wednesdays and Saturdays only) - Quail, Dove, Wild Pig, Rabbits
  • Hunting is prohibited for: deer, coyote, ground squirrel, waterfowl.

Reactions: Hunt&Done
What about driving into American Ranch from the north on Soda? I saw on google maps that there are open dirt roads leading into American ranch right across from the lake.

Those roads are open and it is open to hikers and equestrian from Soda, or the DFG special hunts probably access from there but if your hunting you have to walk on from the 166 on the specified days.

Those roads are open and it is open to hikers and equestrian from Soda, or the DFG special hunts probably access from there but if your hunting you have to walk on from the 166 on the specified days.
Thank you for clearing that up! I always appreciate this website and it’s members!

Reactions: Dawnandusk
You cannot drive into American Ranch unit. You can drive up to it but must walk in. You can walk in there anytime, lots of Elk up there.
You are not allowed in North Chimineas without drawing for a DFG event.
Your only allowed in South Chimineas on Wednesdays and Saturdays, last day is the 25th till next seasons.
You can't walk from South Chinineas around the North Unit to the American Ranch Unit. Anybody that has been up there knows that is ridiculously far and to do that and go back would take more then a day.

What are you wanting to hunt up there?

You cannot drive into American Ranch unit. You can drive up to it but must walk in. You can walk in there anytime, lots of Elk up there.
You are not allowed in North Chimineas without drawing for a DFG event.
Your only allowed in South Chimineas on Wednesdays and Saturdays, last day is the 25th till next seasons.
You can't walk from South Chinineas around the North Unit to the American Ranch Unit. Anybody that has been up there knows that is ridiculously far and to do that and go back would take more then a day.

What are you wanting to hunt up there?
Quail, Dove, Rabbit, & Hog.
Basically everything that Carrizo allows.
I'm taking a couple of hardware that can cover all of the above.
Last year was my 1st year as a "hunter" and had no kills whatsoever.
I'm hungry.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu