Cartridge Debate

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
We have all been in recent boating accidents, moving accidents, etc and now all of our rifles are missing. Crazy mishaps.

Now we must choose a single caliber for all of North America...what would you choose?

I would go with 300 WM, because I am very familiar with the cartridge, there are reloading supplies fairly easy to get, extremely versatile and a plethora of factory ammo options if needed. I like the extra speed over a 30-06 and the heavier bullet options if Grizz are on the table.

What caliber would you choose and why?

Reactions: NBK
I have the most time behind a 7 Rem Mag and a 300 WSM. The 300 WSM has the edge for sure. It flat out hammers game. And with a Barnes TTSX, it would wreak havoc on North American carnivores. Less recoil than a 300 WM and in a short action. And very very accurate. Easy to load for and ammo is plentiful. Oh, and very economical on powder too! Not to mention, the cartridge is cool looking.

The 300 Short Mag has my vote!

Without a doubt agree with Steve no better rifle in my opinion than Winchester model 70 in 06

Reactions: NBK
@Snake Charmer and I know a guy who has killed 75 elk (among a mountain of other big game) with a 30-06.

Not an exciting cartridge, but damn it gets it done. And with power to spare. And many big angry man eaters have been dispatched with the venerable 30-06.

I have the most time behind a 7 Rem Mag and a 300 WSM. The 300 WSM has the edge for sure. It flat out hammers game. And with a Barnes TTSX, it would wreak havoc on North American carnivores. Less recoil than a 300 WM and in a short action. And very very accurate. Easy to load for and ammo is plentiful. Oh, and very economical on powder too! Not to mention, the cartridge is cool looking.

The 300 Short Mag has my vote!
Love the cartridge and have watched game die by it massive craters in a bull with 180G TTSX. but it’s the only gun you can own how readily available is ammo etc. you can walk into any elk or deer camp and borrow A box of 30-06, 300wm, or 7RM. I feel like it has to be one of these three the 06 has been around since 1906 and it will still be here in 100 years will the 300wsm?

Love the cartridge and have watched game die by it massive craters in a bull with 180G TTSX. but it’s the only gun you can own how readily available is ammo etc. you can walk into any elk or deer camp and borrow A box of 30-06, 300wm, or 7RM. I feel like it has to be one of these three the 06 has been around since 1906 and it will still be here in 100 years will the 300wsm?

300 WSM is in the top 12 most sold game cartridges every year.

300 WSM is in the top 12 most sold game cartridges every year.
I love the cartridge but if you have to pick one of the 300 Mags in my opinion it needs to be the 300wm you know that ones not going anywhere.

Side not I listended to an incredible podcast today about an 82yo who shot a ram last year after 40 years of applying. 300yds put the crosshairs above its back pulled the trigger and shot a 186” book ram with his 30-06 gamemaster. Same gun I shot my first big game with.

I want another 30-06 that caliber with a 180g bullet is real hard to beat. Especially at reasonable hunting distances.

I have a question, what is wrong with a 6.5 cm?

I’d smash a elk with it and I’d bet it would go down.

I have a question, what is wrong with a 6.5 cm?

I’d smash a elk with it and I’d bet it would go down.

It is a great cartridge, no question. But it has limitations and is on the light side for big heavy boned animals. It is better suited for deer size game. It will certainly kill bigger animals. Just not a first choice do all caliber. I love my .260's, and we have killed elk with them. They just lack power and diameter for lights out kills on big animals.

Reactions: TRICER
It is a great cartridge, no question. But it has limitations and is on the light side for big heavy boned animals. It is better suited for deer size game. It will certainly kill bigger animals. Just not a first choice do all caliber. I love my .260's, and we have killed elk with them. They just lack power and diameter for lights out kills on big animals.

Solid point !

Obviously distance is the huge factor here and would have to be considered. I’m just a recoil puss.

Just watched a 7 mm prc video, 3k fps with 175gr seems to be what everyone is after. Got me thinking for sure !

Reactions: JakeSCH and TRICER
Solid point !

Obviously distance is the huge factor here and would have to be considered. I’m just a recoil puss.

Just watched a 7 mm prc video, 3k fps with 175gr seems to be what everyone is after. Got me thinking for sure !

I am not a big fan of recoil either.

The 7mm PRC is another cool big game cartridge. It might get some traction.

Reactions: KoozeDeer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu