Central California Newbie

Kennakinz

May 17, 2017
Central Coast
Hey guys, I'm McKenna and I'm 23 years old and fairly new to hunting. I've been Quail and Chuckar hunting in Idaho, last summer, and want to try for bigger game this year - possibly wild pig and deer. I love the outdoors and have been fishing my entire life. I have a shotgun and am looking to purchase a rifle in the next few weeks. Any female hunters out there? Or anyone willing to take a newbie out?

Thanks!

Reactions: Moves
Hey welcome. Not many people here from central cal. Most are from the southern end. My wife and I hunt the central coast as much as we can since I have work that way pretty often. Lots of good info here.

Reactions: Kennakinz
Hey, I'm new too. I'm going to be looking for a partner for the upcoming season. Good luck

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kennakinz
WELL DONE! you get points for skinning it with a tractor too.

Keep a eye out for the next Shoot up in Taft! not far from you and its a great place to meet hunters and learn how to shoot long

@TaftHunter

Prime habitat for pig and deer .
Vandiland FHL and camp Bob are some of the places that produce pig year round .they also have a good black tail hunting program on all three bases .

If you're willing to drive a little I'll take you out for some Azone deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd take this guy up on that!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi McKenna, I actually live in the Central Valley (Visalia). About 2 hours from you. Anyway, I'm a noob as well but am up for hunting with you if you're ever in the area or if you find any places your way I'd be more than happy to head out your way to hunt with you. My InLaws have a place in San Simeon so I head over to the central coast every now and again.

What happened to the meat?
Not sure...apparently any wild boar over 250 lbs is EXTREMELY gamey and inedible.... all I know is the smell and taste is similar to cat piss and it wont come out of the pans I cooked it in, or my clothes that I butchered it in...I've tried everything like soaking it in milk and a brine...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu