Chamfer Degree

Josh S.

Jul 22, 2016
Why does a person want a 30 degree chamfer vs a 45 degree when using a VLD bullet? I cannot find any information explaining why online.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

IMO. The 45 degree angle is too much. 30 degrees is plenty enough to accomplish positive bullet seating without cutting more brass than what is necessary.

Reactions: Josh S.
i think the VLD chamfer bit I use is around 22 degrees. Bullets feed into case necks much smoother and easier than the regular RCBS bit that came on my prep station.

Reactions: TRICER
i think the VLD chamfer bit I use is around 22 degrees. Bullets feed into case necks much smoother and easier than the regular RCBS bit that came on my prep station.
Im bought the LE Wilson Trimmer and they only had the 30 degree cutter attachment. Im not shooting any competition just trying to be as precise as possible

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Right, generally steeper is better. Enough for the case mouth to not score the bullet as it seats.

When in an actual hunting scenario...im not to sure it would...i think...well..maybe..man theres some stuff to ponder...i cant imagine.

Reactions: JakeSCH and NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu