change.... 6.5 to 7

I like it! I am thinking 28 Nosler or 7mm Rem Mag build next year. The 7mm BC is very impressive. 7 SAUM could be an option as well if I want to go with a short action to save weight just got to find a way to fit 3 in the mag box without having to go to magazines.

The big 7s won't fit the short action mags I don't think

Reactions: TRICER
Tru, Hunting wise you can never go wrong with a 7 Rem mag in the west. I don't think the 28 Nosler will give you much more and you will have to consider handloading if you are not doing it now as opposed to walking into any good gun or sporting goods store and buying what you want. Been running one for years and while I want to build another gun I really have no reason to do so as my 7 has never let me down when I do my part. Yea it takes a long action

1-8.25

Slightly over spun but not by much. I can try to toss the 197gr mk's with this twist.

Throat will be set for the 184gr fopen burgers pushed way far out.

My buddy shoots the 7SAUM. Shoots the 180 Berger’s great. Tested to 1,200 yards
He has trouble with the 168 Cutting Edge MTH. 100 yards outstanding groups, 400 yards they start to tumble.
8.5 twist

So are you just using a long action or did you go with a medium?
Also I am like a little kid when it comes to new bullets I love opening the box to check them out. I would be lying if I said I have never done it in the car before I got home. Almost like opening a pack of cards back in the day.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
All of this build talk is making me break out into a sweat. I am over due! I am either going to do a 6mm of some sort or a .280 Ackley Improved.

Nice job Billy. Can't wait to see the end results from the new rig!

We need to start thinking about the second annual SCH Cup. Going to have to create some different shooting classes for the different style rifles.

Too all those following this thread exteme long range shooting takes a lot of skill. I know this from the fact I would not try it without a lot of brain work and experience. My best with a 7 mag goes out to about 400 yards because I have had a chance to practice it

All of this build talk is making me break out into a sweat. I am over due! I am either going to do a 6mm of some sort or a .280 Ackley Improved.

Nice job Billy. Can't wait to see the end results from the new rig!

We need to start thinking about the second annual SCH Cup. Going to have to create some different shooting classes for the different style rifles.
We should start throwing out dates. January is archery season in AZ so I would say mid February or March would be great.

March for sure, Feb is still duck season for me

NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up...Feb 22nd...Youth turkey hunt drawing, March 7th...Youth opener, March 21st...Adult Turkey opener, March 28th.

ps...Will you have a .17 HMR division?... :blush:

maybe FEB 29th Cool still and a week after my duck closes.

yes you can shoot it.. you wont hit anything but you can shoot it. :)

I thought there was going to be divisions...Or is this for snobby long range elephant gun guys only?... :innocent:
Steve we will need someone to man the BBQ

Seriously it’s just cool watching these guys dial in and ring steel like nothing. I will have my new gun by then so I am excited. I like February 29. My kids really want to hunt turkey this year so we will be at all the turkey stuff.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu