Cherry poppin Yellow Tails

Littlmama

Jan 14, 2020
Went out on my brothers boat last week and this past Monday. Hopped some patties and got my first YTs!
Took a spearo buddy of mine and she got her first YT as well! Funny story, as I was quietly serenading the spooked fish that took off...(strumming my spear gun bands), trying to lure them back, my buddy swam in like a torpedo and shot one right next to me! I Didn't even see it She's a beast!
Note to self...don't hesitate...shoot!!!
16 lb, 14 lbs and the 'machine' got an 18lb. Luvin theses tasty fish and making Hamachi Kama tonight.

.20200819_094524.jpg20200817_211550.jpg20200821_101141.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, patty hopping out of mission bay. I want to take my kayak out to the La Jolla kelp...have people been pullin yellows out of there lately?

Oh yeah, there’s been a few for sure. I haven’t seen any huge ones, but definitely decent ones.

Reactions: Littlmama
That is awesome I'm jealous of the big blue you guys have with all of its tasty offerings, but I love my hills up north more for the hunting opportunities I have. Dang with the spear you 2 are badass. I haven't fished or took the kayak out in about 5 weeks thanks for taking us along and sharing. BTW the collars for dinner sound amazing enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m Scared of sharks, don’t you think twice before getting in ?

That is awesome I'm jealous of the big blue you guys have with all of its tasty offerings, but I love my hills up north more for the hunting opportunities I have. Dang with the spear you 2 are badass. I haven't fished or took the kayak out in about 5 weeks thanks for taking us along and sharing. BTW the collars for dinner sound amazing enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The collar was tasty, one of my new favorites

Reactions: MAG 1 and CAL'NDN
The collar was tasty, one of my new favorites
Not well known except to those who know but the collars of the larger models are the best part of the fish and the easiest to prepare just put them under the broiler for a few minutes (split apart) until the skin begins to peel and use the same condiments as sushi or sashimi. Tastes like buttered fish !. P.S you cut them right for the collar cut and got the belly included.

Not well known except to those who know but the collars of the larger models are the best part of the fish and the easiest to prepare just put them under the broiler for a few minutes (split apart) until the skin begins to peel and use the same condiments as sushi or sashimi. Tastes like buttered fish !. P.S you cut them right for the collar cut and got the belly included.
Exactly..did it like that with some basting from a recipe I found on BD outdoors.. so good! Will try it with sashimi condiments next time. (Hmm didnt have the belly, gut em in the water. I might have to try that next time).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu