Christmas Eve Lake Barrett Duck Hunt

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
It was a wet day but a good day. Left my place at 2AM and headed for by buddies house and it was coming down in sheets! Arrived at 330am and off we went to the lake. My friend was expecting a cancellation text from me due to the down pour but him and I decided to skip Denny's and give the duck hunt a shot. We arrived on time and the lady at the gate said she thought we were crazy but let us in. After sitting at the dock and sharing some stories with her for about an hour another hunter showed up an hour late but they were allowed to pick a blind and off they went just before gray light. We got in our boat and headed out shortly after they did. We got to our "blind area" and set up. It was pouring down on us until about 8am. We saw a ton of ducks on the other side of the lake but none in our area. The other hunters left I guess they could not take the rain any longer. But we toughed it out and at around 9am we headed out to shot from the boat. Which is allowed as long as the engine is off and you are not moving. We kicked up the ducks and the shooting started. We got 8 ruddy ducks and I have to admit we shot a few coots too. We did not see any other ducks but a few buffleheads. We could have gotten our limits if we could shot worth a damn but then again it was raining and we were shooting from a boat and it hailed on us twice. Ya I am making excuses!! My buddy said if you breast out the coots right away they taste like any other duck. Well I will see about that! As far as the ruddy ducks from what I have read they should be o.k. Here is one article that I found.

http://honest-food.net/2010/12/02/ruddy-ducks-the-original-butterball/

The original butter ball? I don't know but I am going to make some poppers this afternoon and will see how it turns out. Anything wrapped in bacon will be fine with me. We also saw 19 deer the first shot has three nice bucks wish it was a better picture. I also wish I could deer hunt that place!! It was a great day with the girls and being cold and wet will help them to appreciate the warm sunny SoCal days!

deer.jpeg Resized_20161224_085725.jpeg deer2.jpeg 1885.jpg Resized_20161224_112517.jpeg

Attachments

• 1885.jpg
    1885.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 18
Thanks steve!! It's really low. The poppers were great.
bc015de6be2d22ef20209342fb2f57f4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with butterballs (ruddies).......Diver duck just like many others.

ps......Hard part is getting the skin off of one......;)

Reactions: msailor
There's nothing wrong with butterballs (ruddies).......Diver duck just like many others.

ps......Hard part is getting the skin off of one......;)
Exactly. It is getting the skin off without ripping half the breast off.

The coots will taste fine. Eat them if you haven't already.

I don't know how that lake still even has a ruddy population. They get hammered pretty good there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Coot poppers where surprising good maybe because we breasted them out right away. The lake has a good population of ruddies.

Coot poppers where surprising good maybe because we breasted them out right away. The lake has a good population of ruddies.

Always has had a lot of divers.......What's missing are the 100's & 100's of ringnecks that used to use the lake.....They sounded like jets coming in.

Wish I would have hunted it when they had 28 blinds instead of only 6.

Matt,

When I moved to SD in 1974, we had Barrett, Sutherland, Otay, & Cuyamaca (Henshaw opened in 1980).......Plus, we hunted San Diego Bay......Great era for local waterfowling.

ps......We also had great honker hunting & jump shooting opps thru-out North County

Matt,

When I moved to SD in 1974, we had Barrett, Sutherland, Otay, & Cuyamaca (Henshaw opened in 1980).......Plus, we hunted San Diego Bay......Great era for local waterfowling.

ps......We also had great honker hunting & jump shooting opps thru-out North County
OK time to fire up the time machine and head back to the good days!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu