Cleveland National Forest, RAW questions

Jackpot

Jan 27, 2020
Murrieta
Hello everyone, I’m new to the site and a new hunter. I have my license and was planning on hunting coyotes since I can do it year around. I had a question on the legality of hunting with a RAW in the Cleveland National Forest. Specifically a BBRAW. Is it legal? I couldn’t find anything on CNF website stating anything. Any info would be appreciate.

You can still use it for coyotes in AZ.
Just sayin.
Hrmm...$160 for non-resident license. Damn, now you put some thoughts in my head. Know a place where a bunch live.

Ya, that’s what I’ll probably do. What’s the odds of a newbie like myself getting coyotes close enough for a shotgun?
You'd be surprised. My first one I shot (which unfortunately I didn't recover, even though I tracked him far), he meandered in after I'd finished using a mouth-call and gathered my pack and dropped down into this draw and was en route to next spot. Was going up this draw when "Doh!" I see him bopping along in the bottom of this draw trying up ahead of me trying to get himself down-wind of where I just had been at while blowing the call.

So: Wait a bit after you finally decide to stop calling, in case he's straggling on the way in. AND... most importantly... if you shoot him and he goes down, if he moves AT ALL shoot him again! It's INSANE the amount of pain they can take and still run! I shot him... he barrel-rolled mid-air... fell to the ground... was rocking back-and-forth a little bit, figure YES! I'd finally done it... then S.O.B. if he didn't get back up, turn to look back at me... then take off running. I figured yeah whatever like 40-50yds. Nope! I tracked his blood trail like 250yds! Down into a ravine! Even found where he'd hidden himself and laid down within a gnarled up Juniper. Until the trail finally just ran dry. So if you hit him? Hit him AGAIN!

Reactions: sherpa
80% all the way mang!!! Can’t take what they don’t know you have .....IMHO.

Never used anything more than a pair Levi's and a t-shirt (any color) and a blued and walnut stocked model 700 and a mouth blown varmint call, never kept count but I would guess a couple hundred, right place right time and observing the presence of vermin I think is what it is all about...

Reactions: Dawnandusk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu