CNF and San Diego county rifle restrictions

Bronkorob

Dec 24, 2018
From what I learned last year from my first turkey hunt, I know I need to get out and get on the ground sooner than I did last year. There are some new spots I want to check out and in the process I also want to try and call in some coyotes in a few new areas. In the CNF in San diego county, are there any county regs that limit the use of rifles in any areas? The NF sites all fall back on, its all good unless specific local laws say otherwise. Riverside county has several areas where its shotgun only, on top of the standard proximity rules for rifle and shotgun. Want to know if San Diego has any areas that fall within the CNF that have any special restrictions, outside of proximity regs.

Thanks for any info you can send my way, and happy new year!!

Depends which part of CNF. I believe Mt. Laguna is Archery only, The others like Palomar and OC depend which part of the forest you are in. It’s been awhile since I looked up new spots but its the local city ordinances you have to be aware of their boundaries in addition to the county ordinances, and be so far away from them. Like in OC you archery then once far enough in shot gun and once you are farther in you can use rifle, its so over grown and steep rifle is pretty much useless, you can get up high and shoot something but you would never be able to retrieve it.

i have seen a san diego shooting map in the past so there is one available. Gets pretty tight in some spaces once you find access points. I only archery shotgun CNF, to many city's near by and save the rifle for destinations farther out.

Cant wait to hunt there in march!!!

Riverside county has several areas where its shotgun only, on top of the standard proximity rules for rifle and shotgun.

Which areas are these? Just want to know because I'm usually in CNF in Riverside County.

Cant wait to hunt there in march!!!

Larry, In the riverside shooting ordinance it states what trapline said. 1 mile out from incorporated city for rifle, under a mile its shotgun only where legal.

Section 4.
It shall be unlawful in either the Western Zone or the Eastern Zone for any person to shoot or discharge within one mile of
any incorporated city any firearm, other than a shotgun used in lawfully hunting game pursuant to a valid hunting license.

Reactions: TheGDog

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu