Colorado First Rifle

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
Heading into Colorado for first rifle from San Diego. I’ll be in 23, 24, 33, 34.

Not sure if anyone has hunted those areas before but trying to get better understanding of the land as sometimes topos and Google earth tend to be desceptive compared to first hand seeing it.

Any further advice on the areas or elk hunting period I would love it. I’ve got a bull tag and my father drew a cow tag. Hopefully 1 of us tags out I’ll come back with pictures of the land to share with y’all

Heading into Colorado for first rifle from San Diego. I’ll be in 23, 24, 33, 34.

Not sure if anyone has hunted those areas before but trying to get better understanding of the land as sometimes topos and Google earth tend to be desceptive compared to first hand seeing it.

Any further advice on the areas or elk hunting period I would love it. I’ve got a bull tag and my father drew a cow tag. Hopefully 1 of us tags out I’ll come back with pictures of the land to share with y’all
Elk live in the deepest darkest holes around. Make sure you are glassing at first and last light. Elk are tough SOBs shot placement is key shoot them until they are down.

Reactions: JWilliams
Elk live in the deepest darkest holes around. Make sure you are glassing at first and last light. Elk are tough SOBs shot placement is key shoot them until they are down.
They also enjoy the wide open spaces of private land quite a bit based on previous trips I’ve taken to CO, lol

Reactions: TRICER
Based on what you see on any maps try to find an area with everything elk will need, food, water and cover. Early morning they should still be feeding either on the edge of a field close to cover and maybe feeding as they head to water and heavy daytime cover. As you know, look for signs Elk are using the area you choose to look first look at. If you don't see any sign the heard have been using that area, move on and keep looking for sign as you glass the hills.

They were still bugling in NM yesterday. If you here a bugle don’t be afraid to be aggressive play the wind and charge. You don’t have to be super quiet with an 800lb animal they are used to breaking sticks etc.

Reactions: Papadeuce
They were still bugling in NM yesterday. If you here a bugle don’t be afraid to be aggressive play the wind and charge. You don’t have to be super quiet with an 800lb animal they are used to breaking sticks etc.

I've killed a bunch of cows and bulls during 1st rifle chasing bugles, that is my preferred tactic, now that the dates have been moved back a week I'm not sure how that's going to work out now.

Reactions: TRICER
I'll will be in a unit just south of you. Don't be afraid of looking on the border of private / public land. In warmer weather, the first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes are everything! But I have seen big bulls traveling mid morning.

Last year they were bugling their balls off on the 10th...to bad they pushed the season back a week. They like to bed in quakies.

Call the bio for your area for some info, and talk to the locals especially the waitress.
Don't go in blind hoping to run into elk.....glass then go once you find them.

Even 1 mile is a long way to pack out an elk by yourself

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu