Commiefornia’s frustratingly confusing regs

BowSlinger

Nov 17, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Hey all,

I started this account a few years ago, but ended up moving out of state and haven’t hunted California.

I’ve googled and tried to also look around various hunting forums and haven’t found a clear answer, so I’m hoping you fine gentlemen (and gentlewomen too) might be able to provide some clarification.

I live near Pasadena and plan on hunting primarily the San Gabriel mountains (I believe is D11?) . I only plan on hunting with a bow, and I don’t care to only go for bucks.

With that being said, I’ve found that the AO tag would probably be my safe bet. I know that this year’s tags are probably all gone, but for future years, what would be the tags I could go for? It seems like California has multiple tags for multiple areas depending on archery or firearm, and buck or doe. Goven that I dont care what sex the deer is, and that I’m only hunting with a bow, can someone please help me out.

Thank you for any help/clarification!

And if anyone would like a hunting buddy; I am a decent tracker, quiet as fuck, and I’ve got both my eyes. Lol. I’ll post something up in the buddy section as well.

Thanks again, and sorry for the long post, I had six-too-many scoops of preworkout earlier.

Alex

DFW and Google are your friend....Like what has been stated....An AO tag is what's available to you.....There is an early bow season.....Sept 1-23....Then rifle.....Oct 13-Nov 11

Your D-11 tag is also good in D-13 and D-15.....Actually, your AO tag is good in all D zones (I was thinking you had a D-11 tag).

All good advice, onxhunt application would be also a good suggestion. I did a search with onxhunt and d-11 zone pop up in the Los Angeles national forest. Now is the time to start scouting if you need to find areas. AO tag forked horn buck or better. Search all the previous post and questions. But don't expect any info were to exactly to go. But general areas. Read and study the DFW reqs carefully. Keep them with you. If you do tag one fill out the DFW tag immediately. Don't move until that is done. Good luck.

Reactions: BowSlinger
@BowSlinger

as of today there are 8 a32 tags avalible that combined with a AO tag and you are golden

the a32 is a la/ventura county either sex tag. The sold out a31 is for Los Padres nf take this as a HUGE hint. you live near deer. you live very very close to deer.
the AO tag lets you hunt from 01-Sep-18 to 23-Sep-18 and the rifle hunt with archery 13-Oct-18 to 11-Nov-18
the A32 tag lets you hunt either sex from 10-Nov-18 - 02-Dec-18

get on it while there are tags left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I always heard it was archery and shotgun only in the Angeles national forest. Never looked into it myself.

@BowSlinger

as of today there are 8 a32 tags avalible that combined with a AO tag and you are golden

the a32 is a los angeles county either sex tag! take this as a HUGE hint. you live near deer. you live very very close to deer.
the AO tag lets you hunt from 01-Sep-18 to 23-Sep-18 and the rifle hunt with archery 13-Oct-18 to 11-Nov-18
the A32 tag lets you hunt either sex from 10-Nov-18 - 02-Dec-18

get on it while there are tags left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A32 is the Ventura/LA County tag. The main portion of public land is in the Los Padres NF on the north end of the zone.

A31 is generally seen as the more desirable tag and that allows you to hunt the San Gabriel's.

Not sure where you are planning to hunt, I just didnt want you to pick up A32 and plan to hunt the Angeles NF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BowSlinger
Correct my bad, I should have been more clear. On the a31/a32

Thanks all, for the info.

This is all probably common knowledge for all of you, but is pretty damn confusing for someone new to the area, hopefully evident by the back and forth between you guys.

Just so I have it clear, to hunt the D11 Zone:
  • A31 Premium tag is good from the 4th Sat in Sept until Dec 31, good for buck or doe
  • D11 Unrestricted tag has an archery start of 1st Sat in Sept lasting 23 days, then a general start (can I also hunt with a bow during D11 general season?) of 2nd Sat in Oct lasting 30 days, good for 1 buck at least forked.
  • AO Unrestricted tag, same season as D11, but can only hunt with a bow, good for 1 buck at least forked.

I mapped out these season timeframes onto a spreadsheet, am I correct that in regards to the D11 and AO tags there is a gap of about 19 days in between the archery season ending and the beginning of general season, not including the A31 tag.

I'm not asking about your guys' hunting areas. I grew up in (and now work in) these mountains, so I'm out here weekly (if not daily). I've got a good idea what area I'll be drawing back in.

Thanks again to all of you for the great info, and good luck this season!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu