Compound Bow color

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Does it really matter? Thoughts?

So I've been spending some time down at the Bow N Arrow shop looking to purchase my first bow and I was set on getting a camo one but Jim at the shop he mentioned that a black bow blends into shadows more.. I hadn't ever thought about it much and just figured a camo one would always blend in more but it was something I wanted to look into some more.

What are your guys preferences and why?

Reactions: sherpa
Camo works for turkeys.

Clothing, yes. Bow, no. Most guys are going to hunt from a ground blind for archery Turkey in order to conceal the movement from drawing anyway. If no blind, as long as the bow isnt some obnoxious color like neon green or orange it wont matter. The draw movement will matter though.

I think for most bows the camo does not matter. There just isn't enough of it on there to make much of a difference. There also isnt enough solid colors to break things up. They are mostly all smaller printed mossy oak or realtree patterns. Maybe something like Kuiu or Asat would be more effective.

Wrong guys turkeys busted my long bow.
And it was brown. Because I was not in a blind and was sitting under a tree.
After I camo it. They would walk right by me. In better times. Bow only area.
PS turkey have sharp eyes and see any not natural objects.

Wrong guys turkeys busted my long bow.
And it was brown. Because I was not in a blind and was sitting under a tree.
After I camo it. They would walk right by me. In better times. Bow only area.
PS turkey have sharp eyes and see any not natural objects.

So do I need camo limbs and cams too?

Was this a wooden longbow? What color?... I still highly doubt it was your bow not being camo that busted them.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Does it really matter? Thoughts?

So I've been spending some time down at the Bow N Arrow shop looking to purchase my first bow and I was set on getting a camo one but Jim at the shop he mentioned that a black bow blends into shadows more.. I hadn't ever thought about it much and just figured a camo one would always blend in more but it was something I wanted to look into some more.

What are your guys preferences and why?

Mines black, also from jimmy and Bruce, I have had both and they both will be unseen if you keep still. But I have orange and pink fletching and have a few things I have bagged

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Shade doesn’t make stuff black, just makes it darker obviously. Camo does just fine in the shadows. Camo mimics nature after all , lol.
I honestly think the resurgence of the black bow thing was to draw more of the tactical guys into buying bows. Or a marketing ploy to get the guys who hunt in blinds to buy another bow.
Just buy the one you like and start killing stuff. Rabbits and quail are fun to shoot with a bow and are great for honing in your skills and learning to judge yardage.

FWIW, I have a camo bow and haven't killed anything with it, except a few arrows. I'm out of shape and don't spend enough time in the field......

• Haha
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I'm going with the camo. I had already placed the order for my bow when I wrote the post but I was curious on what you guys used and if some of you thought it made a difference. I had to order because I'm left handed and they only had a black bow in south paw that was in my price range. Almost went with black just so I could take it home that day!! Just staring at my phone hoping the bow shop calls in the next couple days..:D

On a prior post I noted that Ed F had a neat little camo cover that he slips over the vanes on his arrows while they are in his on-board quiver. Simple little drawstring closure made out of camo'd cloth. To hide those super bright vane colors.

That's something I would definitely not want to get an arrow stuck in! Where does one find a neat cover like that? Also, my eyes might be playing tricks on me but looks like a black bow right behind that one or is it a dark colored one?

Damn Larry, that's one of the nicest things you've said about me...
Ed F
Well... if you guys would do the honorable thing and play nice and be respectful of others, you'd find that I'm quite a stand-up guy and an asset to consider among your acquiantences. Several fine trust-worthy gentleman in here I've already had the pleasure of joining them in the field and count them among that category! And in a perfect world, who knows, perhaps one day even you and I could count each other in that category too eh?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu