Considering 410 turkey gun

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
With tss being such a game changer for turkey I’m wondering if I really need to be lugging my old 12gauge 870 express hither and yon or if I’d be better served buying a lightweight purpose made turkey gun in 410.

The stevens 301 seems like a good solution. Light, short, already had a rail for an optic. Cheap and in stock at our new sportsman's warehouse.

It’s a single shot but I’ve never needed more than one shot to kill a turkey.

Reactions: sportyg
Evan,

I would ask why would you go to such an inferior gun?...I know you stated that you don't feel like lugging your 870 around any longer...Personally, as hard as it is to get a turkey here, I want all the firepower I can legally have...That said, TSS is a game changer, but I wouldn't change the game to any thing less than a 20 gauge...2 cents

ps...These patterns are with a 20 gauge Benelli, M-2, Carlson' Cremator choke, TSS, 3" 1 5/8 #9's...Stefanie has not missed with this combo (or have I)... ;)

.pattern 10.JPGpattern 6.JPGpattern 5.JPGturkey opening '22 4.JPG

Last edited:
Evan,

I would ask why would you go to such an inferior gun?...I know you stated that you don't feel like lugging your 870 around any longer...Personally, as hard as it is to get a turkey here, I want all the firepower I can legally have...That said, TSS is a game changer, but I wouldn't change the game to any thing less than a 20 gauge...2 cents

ps...These patterns are with a 20 gauge Benelli M-2, Carlson' Cremator choke, 3" 1 5/8 #9's...Stefanie has not missed with this combo (or have I)... ;)

.View attachment 57873View attachment 57874View attachment 57875View attachment 57876
Steve, I’ve always used 12 for turkey because we were still using lead when I started and it was recommended but I’ve been wondering lately whether I’m overgunned with tss being so effective.

410 tss-focused guns seem popular in the gun mags these days but maybe that’s a marketing fad.

Steve, I’ve always used 12 for turkey because we were still using lead when I started and it was recommended but I’ve been wondering lately whether I’m overgunned with tss being so effective.

410 tss-focused guns seem popular in the gun mags these days but maybe that’s a marketing fad.

I think it's a fad and I bet the guys promoting it aren't hunting public...The 20 gauge is kind of the happy medium with TSS loads these days. as I've stated and shown in patterns.

ps...Tons of Turkish made shotguns out there these days in 20 gauge that won't break the bank.

He pumped that bitch up to l10 for that yardbird! But ya those were the days...no head shots or ball shots...yet some one would always.whack someone in throat..I'm not naming names..but I'm jus sayin..lol.

I no longer pay attention to magazines, videos and even out of the area hunting forums. Sure is fun to read and enjoy it but, I believe 90% does not apply to us far south Cal residents.
We have not much game, is a lot of work and if you have no access to private you are in for a rude awakening.
So I say stop buying shit..lol..unless you need the essentials or if have a tag for out of state.
I wanted a rifle to hunt Coyote and I'm dying to buy a lever action. The more I think about it the more I realized it is just not practical. I can kill anything local with my 20ga and my 6.5 Tika..
Not to mentioned, have you watched the stock market? ouch! interest rates, housing market, gas prices...damm.
I say hold one to your pennies because is just about to get ugly..
Sorry..what this posting about Turkeys?..lol

I no longer pay attention to magazines, videos and even out of the area hunting forums. Sure is fun to read and enjoy it but, I believe 90% does not apply to us far south Cal residents.
We have not much game, is a lot of work and if you have no access to private you are in for a rude awakening.
So I say stop buying shit..lol..unless you need the essentials or if have a tag for out of state.
I wanted a rifle to hunt Coyote and I'm dying to buy a lever action. The more I think about it the more I realized it is just not practical. I can kill anything local with my 20ga and my 6.5 Tika..
Not to mentioned, have you watched the stock market? ouch! interest rates, housing market, gas prices...damm.
I say hold one to your pennies because is just about to get ugly..
Sorry..what this posting about Turkeys?..lol
It is not about to get ugly it already is ugly.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Why not just get one in 12G? You'll still save a ton of weight but you'll have real horsepower and you already have the ammo for it.

Why not just get one in 12G? You'll still save a ton of weight but you'll have real horsepower and you already have the ammo for it.

My Benelli M-2 twenty gauge weighs 5.9 lbs....The Savage 301, .410 weighs 5.7 lbs....And, there's no comparison in fire power.... :blush:

ps...Evan, I'm not trying talk you out of buying whatever gun you like...That's always a personal choice...There is a bit of a cost difference too...;)

pss...There's a ton of Turkish made semi-auto shotguns out there in the range of that .410...Check out camo Hatfield's...Buddy shot his last week at Euros...Damn nice for $200.00 bucks

My Benelli M-2 twenty gauge weighs 5.9 lbs....The Savage 301, .410 weighs 5.7 lbs....And, there's no comparison in fire power.... :blush:

ps...Evan, I'm not trying talk you out of buying whatever gun you like...That's always a personal choice...There is a bit of a cost difference too...;)

pss...There's a ton of Turkish made semi-auto shotguns out there in the range of that .410...Check out camo Hatfield's...Buddy shot his last week at Euros...Damn nice for $200.00 bucks

Interesting. I would have guessed it would be lighter than that! Thats not much weight savings.

Reactions: sportyg
I switched to a Benelli M2 20 gauge 3 years ago and haven’t found it lacking at all. It’s light, under 6 pounds and the recoil is much less than a 12. But I wouldn’t use less gun. The 410 is a stunt round that will string shot and shoots much less dense patterns. I think it’s asking for trouble.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Turkey hunting killing power is overrated on this site, On private they are stupid and early on public not much better. Both of my stepsons in the heyday when you could use what you wanted we spanked them with #5's nickle plated from a 20 s&s. Yea you can kill them at 70 yards with big dog high cost ammo but where's the sport in that ? ) Get them in close and enjoy the show before you send them home . All the turkeys at my ranch have fell at less than 20 yds and the father/kid combos which is what I only allow now . I ask them to use legal ammo but limit the take to decoy call them into decoy distance and enjoy the wildness of the animal before they kill it. Every one has an opinion and this is mine based on living with them for the past 20 plus years

Snake..how acres you holding there in So cal?

Turkey hunting killing power is overrated on this site, On private they are stupid and early on public not much better. Both of my stepsons in the heyday when you could use what you wanted we spanked them with #5's nickle plated from a 20 s&s. Yea you can kill them at 70 yards with big dog high cost ammo but where's the sport in that ? ) Get them in close and enjoy the show before you send them home . All the turkeys at my ranch have fell at less than 20 yds and the father/kid combos which is what I only allow now . I ask them to use legal ammo but limit the take to decoy call them into decoy distance and enjoy the wildness of the animal before they kill it. Every one has an opinion and this is mine based on living with them for the past 20 plus years

Fred,

With all due respect...Hunting public or even MMC is not the same as hunting your property or property I have in Julian...When I hunt other states, I ain't dickin' around with some inferior load after walking miles and hunting hard...TSS has been a game changer and shooting a 20 isn't the same as it was...My daughter has killed every one of her turkeys inside 25 yds. with lead & Hevi-Shot and herb 20 gauge...Not really that big a deal with the decent decoys and calling.

ps...You let one of the best callers and turkey hunters hunt your property...That makes a big difference too, compared to guys that are just trying to get a turkey on public.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu