Coon Hunting

• Thread starter Deleted member 27310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27310

Hey guys, my kid wants a racoon for his wall. So I have a ditch that has them. What's the scoop on hunting them at night? I'll go check the regs but I thought i'd ask here in the meantime. Thanks for any help.

okay found the regs..
  • (c) Method of Take:
    • (1) When taking raccoon after dark, pistols and rifles not larger than .22 caliber rimfire and shotguns using shot no larger than No. BB are the only firearms which may be used during this night period. (This regulation supersedes Sections 4001 and 4002 of the Fish and Game Code.) (See Sections 264 and 264.5 for light regulations.)
    • (2) The take or attempted take of any raccoon with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1.
  • (d) Dogs may be permitted to pursue raccoons in the course of breaking, training or practicing dogs in accordance with the provisions of Section 265 of these regulations.
Change without regulatory effect 8/9/2019.

standby for money shots ..lol

Your good, it is kill season right now. IV has a very long kill season compared to the rest of the state. I have hounds that I hunt coons with occasionally out there in the IV. If you ever want to make a run with my hounds let me know maybe we can plan something out.

Picked up some copper .22 and went out last night for like 30 minutes. The kiddo had to finish reading his book so mama wanted him home early. Coons 1 rick 0... tonight we head out again.

Your good, it is kill season right now. IV has a very long kill season compared to the rest of the state. I have hounds that I hunt coons with occasionally out there in the IV. If you ever want to make a run with my hounds let me know maybe we can plan something out.

Thanks SASS, I appreciate the offer. I bet it's super cool hunting with hounds.

BTW... you'll note it says "not larger than .22 rimfire", which would mean you *can* elect to use .17 HMR to give you more power and longer range if ya needed it. Just thinking out loud here.

BTW... you'll note it says "not larger than .22 rimfire", which would mean you *can* elect to use .17 HMR to give you more power and longer range if ya needed it. Just thinking out loud here.
Thanks G, I think that'll be my next rifle.

Thanks G, I think that'll be my next rifle.
Oh yeah.. if you haven't already got one... TOTALLY get you a .17 HMR man! You'll LOVE it! I have virtually no desire to shoot the regular .22 LR anymore.

No bullet drop guess-work out to like 125-150yds. Just put the cross-hairs on and shoot! Easy-peasy.

SASS,

Please go road the hounds.......the coons are so healthy down there they are running in packs of 3-4....not good for the pheasants.

Reactions: ilovesprig
SASS,

Please go road the hounds.......the coons are so healthy down there they are running in packs of 3-4....not good for the pheasants.

I'm thinking about going out there soon, you should join. When we going pheasant hunting?

Mike,
Dennis should be texting you soon about getting a coon hunt with the dogs organized.
I'm in too with my jagds

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu