Copper vs Jacked lead core ID

rbduffer

Dec 15, 2014
Fallbrook
How do the "Authorities" here in CA check to make sure that your ammo is solid copper?

Do they use a magnet, meter, scale, scratch and sniff or just look at your ammo box?

Of course I'm not suggesting anything immoral here, just idle curiosity. Thanks.

They can actually test the animal itself for traces of lead. I think it is with a scanner of some sort. They will actually go to butcher shops and check game in central cal.

• Wow
Reactions: Dawnandusk
A story that was shared with me by a veteran hunter is that they will take one of your rounds and cut thru the bullet to verify it's lead-free if they suspect you may not be using proper rounds.

The game warden will ask you for the box. If there is any doubt he will take a few rounds and send them for analysis. Like Longbow said... save yourself the hassle....
Besides... I have been told that solid copper are awesome bullets. A Lot more weight retention.

Reactions: DayHunter433
Couple of comments about this, First I handload so no box included for mr greenjeans to look at, 2nd If game and fish takes a round to test, where is the ammo check done and by whom if not on the spot and also how do they test? ( waterfowl steel used to be done right then and there) 3rd if they take some of my ammo to test do I get compensated for the confiscation of the destroyed ammo they took without just cause and who places a value on it ? so I can recover the costs I have in producing the ammo?. As most of you know this is just b.s and as always Cali write laws and puts them into effect and then tries to figure out how to enforce them and in the process the law abiding citizen has to pay lawyer's to protect them from what the state legisture wrote and voted on but does not know how to deal with. B.S all the way... As I said before as well as Sprig has said join CRPA, the NRA and local and regional sportsman groups and scream or sit on your hands and watch it all go away.Spend your money and time now or you won't have any reason to spend it later...

Couple of comments about this, First I handload so no box included for mr greenjeans to look at, 2nd If game and fish takes a round to test, where is the ammo check done and by whom if not on the spot and also how do they test? ( waterfowl steel used to be done right then and there) 3rd if they take some of my ammo to test do I get compensated for the confiscation of the destroyed ammo they took without just cause and who places a value on it ? so I can recover the costs I have in producing the ammo?. As most of you know this is just b.s and as always Cali write laws and puts them into effect and then tries to figure out how to enforce them and in the process the law abiding citizen has to pay lawyer's to protect them from what the state legisture wrote and voted on but does not know how to deal with. B.S all the way... As I said before as well as Sprig has said join CRPA, the NRA and local and regional sportsman groups and scream or sit on your hands and watch it all go away.Spend your money and time now or you won't have any reason to spend it later...
Can only imagine what a hassle that'd be.. love how they pass these laws that can't ever be enforced or abided by easily. But hey we're saving condors yay!

You can stick a magnet to steel shot but what about bismuth? Will they open up one of your shells on the spot? This law is dumb.

Many exelent questions.
I just wrote what I understood when I read the regulations... I beleive some game wardens will side with us... But I don't know if all will.
Again, I most likely am wrong... But that is the story I am sticking to...
For sure... Save yourself a bad time and check your pockets, backpack, bags and everything you are carrying with you and make sure you don't have any lead ammo that can be used with the firearm you are carrying with you at that time.

All of us and you who stay in Cali better get ready for tree hugger wardens ( they are coming and if you don't believe it you are clueless) and that they will push legal hunters to the limit to pursue their goal of no legal pursuit of game. ) I'll say it again, scream and organize or lose out, it's coming if you newbies don't get it together it will be gone. I've seen a lot of new dove hunters on the site the past few weeks, you all need to get on board or you will be driving to Texas to shoot a dove in the near future and that will mark the end of hunting as we know it in this state....

AGREED! I roll my own also and I have a couple of ideas in case of inspection. My rifle likes the Barnes TSX and TTSX. I've shot quiet a bit of the factory ammo and keep all my Barnes brass as well as the boxes that they came in. No brainer to reload the Barnes brass with Barnes bullets and put 'em back in a Barnes box. How is Mr. Warden gonna know the difference? On the off chance I'm hunting with different brass but still with all copper bullets, Mr. Warden is gonna have to be happy to see the empty box of slugs with the explanation that they're hand loads. And quite honestly, is it really gonna be worth it to argue with a dude over a round or two of ammo? Please... after spending buku dollars on all the other shit we take into the field, I'm not gonna sweat a couple rounds of ammo, especially if I know I'm in the right and not trying to hide anything. That being said, I agree with you 100% that we are fighting an uphill battle in this state and need to get vocal.

Thanks guys for all the great input!
The short answer is that they can't tell on the spot.
Snake nailed it on his reply and we all agree that it's just more BS tactics.
As far as letting them take some of my ammo, I believe that IS crossing a MUCH bigger line as LongB suggests.
Not to sound alarmist, but it becomes a foot-in-the-door test bed for other Constitutional Rights.
I wont say that I hate this state, because that would be like libtards hating America.
But I sure as hell hate our politicians.

Reactions: sportyg
AGREED! I roll my own also and I have a couple of ideas in case of inspection. My rifle likes the Barnes TSX and TTSX. I've shot quiet a bit of the factory ammo and keep all my Barnes brass as well as the boxes that they came in. No brainer to reload the Barnes brass with Barnes bullets and put 'em back in a Barnes box. How is Mr. Warden gonna know the difference? On the off chance I'm hunting with different brass but still with all copper bullets, Mr. Warden is gonna have to be happy to see the empty box of slugs with the explanation that they're hand loads. And quite honestly, is it really gonna be worth it to argue with a dude over a round or two of ammo? Please... after spending buku dollars on all the other shit we take into the field, I'm not gonna sweat a couple rounds of ammo, especially if I know I'm in the right and not trying to hide anything. That being said, I agree with you 100% that we are fighting an uphill battle in this state and need to get vocal.
Yea I would argue because Mr greenjeans won't have an answer and I would challenge him on all the questions I proposed so that Mr game warden has to make on the spot decisions and then take it back to his boss and ask how are they supposed to enforce a law they have no science on. I'm old and don't care if they try and arrest me because there are many lawyers that would love to take them to the bank on this. Bajaandy sacrificing a round or two when thay don't have clear protocol on in my opinion is surrendering to them. It's worth it to me to argue nose to nose with a warden who does not have proper science or protocol from their commanders with him to check if you are legal on the grounds that the state has not given them the tools to do their job. It's the principal of the thing to me the cost of the ammo is secondary. Stand on your legs and fight or get on your knees and die.

Yea I would argue because Mr greenjeans won't have an answer and I would challenge him on all the questions I proposed so that Mr game warden has to make on the spot decisions and then take it back to his boss and ask how are they supposed to enforce a law they have no science on. I'm old and don't care if they try and arrest me because there are many lawyers that would love to take them to the bank on this. Bajaandy sacrificing a round or two when thay don't have clear protocol on in my opinion is surrendering to them. It's worth it to me to argue nose to nose with a warden who does not have proper science or protocol from their commanders with him to check if you are legal on the grounds that the state has not given them the tools to do their job. It's the principal of the thing to me the cost of the ammo is secondary. Stand on your legs and fight or get on your knees and die.
No quarrels with me brother! You can argue with the Man all you want Snake Charmer. I thought you were concerend about costs because of what you said earlier about cost of production and who places value and getting compensated and what not. My time in the field is far too valuable to be spent arguing with a warden who by all accounts isn't going to have the answer you want no matter how much you argue. If it costs me a couple rounds to get back into the field (or down the road to have a beer) then that's a small price to pay. You call it surrendering. In my opinion it's buying my field time. Cheap. I'd rather argue principles out of season. Good luck out there this season!

No quarrels with me brother! You can argue with the Man all you want Snake Charmer. I thought you were concerend about costs because of what you said earlier about cost of production and who places value and getting compensated and what not. My time in the field is far too valuable to be spent arguing with a warden who by all accounts isn't going to have the answer you want no matter how much you argue. If it costs me a couple rounds to get back into the field (or down the road to have a beer) then that's a small price to pay. You call it surrendering. In my opinion it's buying my field time. Cheap. I'd rather argue principles out of season. Good luck out there this season!
No arguments here either Baja, but I'll go back to my main point which is who and where is it detremined that I'm legal and should I trust the offsite testing if not done in front of me. Lot's of bad science out there that has made criminals out of prople or put them in jail, personally I don't trust the current governence of this state and what might happen if some anti hunter in a game and fish position wanted to accuse me of being a bad guy just to promote their agenda. Like I said before challenge and ask questions and see if they can answer them and provide answers otherwise oppose and fight and take it to a court and see if they can prove their case. If we are legal we have nothing to fear and it would strike a blow to their B.S. laws and policies. Good luck to you as well this year, hope you kill a good one and post it for all of us to see so that we can congradulate you on it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu