Cougar Stalks Runner for 6 minutes near Provo, UT

Freaking cat...

I went out last Friday and walked to the spot in the dark. Thru one of the bushes off the side of the trail with my headlamp, I spotted a couple of eyes staring at me for about a minute. My rifle was strapped to my pack and I did not have anything to defend myself with...I was already planning to use the pack to cover the back of my head if it was a cat going after me....I felt so defenseless it was frustrating.
I never heard the animal leaving the area so it was probably small, but it slowed me down quite a bit...maybe it was a coyote, a opossum or even a small cat.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Freaking cat...

I went out last Friday and walked to the spot in the dark. Thru one of the bushes off the side of the trail with my headlamp, I spotted a couple of eyes staring at me for about a minute. My rifle was strapped to my pack and I did not have anything to defend myself with...I was already planning to use the pack to cover the back of my head if it was a cat going after me....I felt so defenseless it was frustrating.
I never heard the animal leaving the area so it was probably small, but it slowed me down quite a bit...maybe it was a coyote, a opossum or even a small cat.

What color eyes? Were they red or green? I've Been Told over the years that light reflection of red eyes are predators and green eyes are deer and other herbivores. Granted I don't know if there's any truth to it but I always like to ask.

I agree protective mode. Notice how she kept looking back, she was checking on her young one. Doesn’t mean she wouldn’t attack though.
What impresses me is the guy videoing. In that situation the last thing I’d think about doing would be taking out my phone and videoing. I’d be more concerned with defending and protecting my a$$. Brave guy or dumb as dirt guy, not sure which one.

• Haha
Reactions: Bigfin
There were two cubs. One on the side and one crouched down in the grass in the road. I think he took the camera out to film them when he first came upon them and then the mama comes charging down the road. So it looks like he could of started filming right before he realized they were cubs with a mother and certainly before getting charged like that. I love when he says I'm big and scary.... cat was like oh really? Hold my deer.

wheres Larry when you need um...the horror..

My cabin driveway last week. I’m Super careful everywhere I go, usually I’ll wear a revolver if I walk more than 50 feet from the house but there are never any guarantees you won’t encounter the wrong lion FD663B65-FFAE-478C-B187-E97AE6F3870E.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu