Could it be? Ronald Reagan initiated the ban on lion hunting...

JonnyZ

Nov 6, 2016
So, I was in Fine firearms yesterday ( I don’t drink so fine is my local pub) and I made the comment that our beloved Ronald Reagan was the person who banned mountain lion hunting in Ca. As NBK and I started to do the math in our heads, it didn’t make sense being that the ban started in 1992, long after Reagan was governor. I remembered reading this or hearing it on one of the many podcasts I listen to. I made the mistake of repeating something I heard without actually knowing the facts so as you could imagine, the taste of my foot was lingering after the math just didn’t add up! So, I had to get to the bottom of it and fell into a wormhole last night...and this is what I found:
In 1972, governor Reagan proposed the first ban on sport hunting mountain lions in Ca. It was a 5 year moratorium originally, and had been reinstated every five years thereafter until 1987, when the last legal seasons was opened for hunting here in California. When the vote came back up 5 years later, instead of putting a 5 year ban back in place, the Ca legislation decided to put a permanent ban on hunting lions and that ban is still in place today. I learned two valuable lessons yesterday. One: the reason organizations like the NRA don’t like to budge an inch on legislation is because often times, it doesn’t come in as an outright ban. You give them an inch and they end up taking a mile ! And two: know your facts before you spew out comments about something so you don’t feel stupid when you do decide to speak on something ! I guess I was half right! It makes me wonder if the sportsman of California, and the biologists that oversee the care of all wildlife, could ever ban together and get legislation passed ,so that the responsible management of this particular species can fall back into the care of the people of this great state! I doubt it but what do you think?

I really don't know, however my gut instinct is no. The anti will try to o eliminate hunting and sport shooting all together. Next round will be to limit
The amount of ammo we are allowed to own. And better have a registered firearm for it. Their goal I believe is make as unavailable and expensive as possible.

I do believe before 1972 the bounty on lions was $50.00 for males and $65.00 for females....At about this time, DFG started getting more non hunters as employees....And this is just my opinion (I worked for DFG in 75-76)….The anti's, greenies started their movement of micro managing everything....Lions were just one of the animals that was determined to be on the decline....Once it got on the ballot (Prop 117), it was voted in by the people....My understanding is that prop only passed in LA & San Fran counties, but that was enough to carry the entire state....The rest is history.

ps....Lions are managed to a certain degree....DFW does give out depredation permits for trouble lions.

Glad to see you looked a bit more in to it. Has always wanted to know why/how the ban began. I was in Fine Firearms as well when you mentioned that yesterday.

Reactions: JonnyZ
I do believe DFG pays the federal trappers to kill X amount of lions a year. Along with depredation permits.

At least that’s the word on the streets. Maybe Steve or LBH has more info?

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I sincerely believe if Californian Hunters
Need to start something like
California hunting rights. Org
We will be done in a matter of time.
Notice most of board are out state.
And are doing all it over the US.
What happens in Calif. Will happen
All over. Just a matter of time.
Writing is on the wall.
My 2 cents

Writing is on the wall.
My 2 cents
I agree 100%

Reactions: longbowhunter2
INDEED... what happens in California...DOES eventually spread it's infection and it starts moving out across other states over time! And THIS is why we must continuously push-back against them! We cannot let the 3 to 5 largest Metro areas in the nation (aka egregious concentrations of "neutered" Predator Primates, aka "Humans" ) dictate what the hell happens thru out the entire nation! If you cannot see the inherently flawed logic of this, well then there is no helping you. The laws and restrictions for these different types of areas will inherently have different "challenges".

People *itch about it when murders and killing go up... and want to demonize what are logically going to be the most efficient tools the humans involved making these bad choices would naturally logically go for as the tool.

And yet... these same folks that wanna *itch about all these murders and killings... wanna get their panties in a twist when somebody brings up reproductive rights and the right to choose NOT to go thru with a birth! And I mean.. it's like... Come the HEck On People? Are you seriously that dense and naive that you don't see the problem in that? Bottom Line... there are too many humans, therefore there are going to be deaths as a result of competition for resources. The question then becomes, which is more humane? To prevent a birth destined to have a bad beginning and no support and thus create such a Human that makes bad decisions and eventually take the life of another mother's son or daughter? Or... do we gracefully mind our own damn business and allow these folks the right to agonize over and make this decision for themselves, and potentially save a whole s*it-ton of people the grief of having to deal with this person who was not wanted to begin with from being born and not getting proper raising and culturing so they turn out to be the a-holes they will eventually become?

Food for thought... discuss.

Writing is on the wall.
My 2 cents

This just might be the group who can get it done...who knows how many people we can reach especially with the ties to different groups and organizations some of you might have. These days it's not too hard to start a buzz with social media. Word would eventually spread and maybe we could get it on a ballot again one day...

#makeCAgreatagain #letushuntlions

This just might be the group who can get it done...who knows how many people we can reach especially with the ties to different groups and organizations some of you might have. These days it's not too hard to start a buzz with social media. Word would eventually spread and maybe we could get it on a ballot again one day...

#makeCAgreatagain #letushuntlions
Second that! I wouldn’t know where to begin but I would be willing to get involved... hmmm not you guys got my mind turning...maybe a go fund me to for some sort of Californian sportsman rights...or is there already an existing group that is attacking this issue already? Damn it I see another WORMHOLE in my near future

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
CWA, NRA, CRPA, and I'm sure other have representation in Sac....The problem is the libs/democrats have a super majority....There is little the conservative/Republicans can do fight the anti's in the this state.

Tough times ahead fellas.

ps....San Diego has an organization that is called San Diego County Wildlife Federation.....It's all the different sportsman groups rolled into one (NWTF is represented)….It keeps us abreast of all the new hunting, fishing, and gun legislation.

.http://www.sdcwf.org/

No offense Steve may be we all need to be more involved in SDCWF before
We can criticize. But there needs
To be a lot more suing the state.
And a lot of money to do this.

No offense Steve may be we all need to be more involved in SDCWF before
We can criticize. But there needs
To be a lot more suing the state.
And a lot of money to do this.

What do you mean by this?....No offense?....I am an active member and have fought the good fight for years (with time & money)....I've also told folks here and other forums that they NEED to be politically minded these days....What do I get?....Don't bring politics to a hunting & fishing forum!

IF YOU VOTE DEMOCRAT OR NOT AT ALL....YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM

Reactions: stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu