Cowboy Camping, D16

Bring the tent?

• Yes, bring it.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Leave it

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Meh, but dont make a habbit out of it.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I am thinking of ditching the tent (6lbs, 3 person) and just sleeping with my bag + pad Friday night. Is this a dumb idea. The area does not have too many bugs but I am a little worried about rattlers since I dont think they hibernate and they can move around at night although unlikely. Thoughts? If it weren't for the 1000' of vertical and 4 mile hike I'd happily bring the tent.

I am thinking of ditching the tent (6lbs, 3 person) and just sleeping with my bag + pad Friday night. Is this a dumb idea. The area does not have too many bugs but I am a little worried about rattlers since I dont think they hibernate and they can move around at night although unlikely. Thoughts? If it weren't for the 1000' of vertical and 4 mile hike I'd happily bring the tent.
I would say it depends on where your camping but honestly rattlesnakes would be the least of my concerns. I personally would be more worried about TICKS! Lol. I hate them with a passion

I would say it depends on where your camping but honestly rattlesnakes would be the least of my concerns. I personally would be more worried about TICKS! Lol. I hate them with a passion
I hear you on that one. I never worry about predators even in bear and wolf country but its the things that crawl on the ground or brush that bother me.

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
This is the tent I carry it’s 15oz

Attachments

• E3F38FD9-672B-4BAD-911E-02CAD8D76BF9.png
    E3F38FD9-672B-4BAD-911E-02CAD8D76BF9.png
    895.2 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: 180ls1
It’s too late for this to be useful for this weekend, but I use a 2lb one person tent. It’s not a high end REI tent, but it keeps the weather out and doesn’t weigh me down.
looks like this, but half pound lighter.

It’s too late for this to be useful for this weekend, but I use a 2lb one person tent. It’s not a high end REI tent, but it keeps the weather out and doesn’t weigh me down.
looks like this, but half pound lighter.

Cant see it. Do you have a name/model? I was also thinking of grabbing a Naturehike "cloud up" tent.

I hear you on that one. I never worry about predators even in bear and wolf country but its the things that crawl on the ground or brush that bother me.
I use a MSR Hubba NX 2p tent. It's kind of pricey but it's my backpacking tent so money well spent. REI make a really good 2lbs 2p tent for like $250 I think. Packs small and fits in any backpack.

Just a but over 7lbs including stove fuel and a few freeze dried meals. Using Outdoor Vitals Dominon 2 person tent , ultralight insulated pad. 0° Loft Tec mummy hammock sleeping pod. At by Outdoor Vitals. A Utah based ultralight back pack company. Check them out. There stuff is what i used i Wyoming when it was 16° except the tent i have a Hillleberg Nallo GT 2 thats the real deal. The best 4 season tent i own... Would put my life on it.... When it comes to high country weather... Not needed in CA

Worked out really well. I'll have to being a sleeping mask next time. I didn't plan on the moon being so bright I could literally walk around and do everything I needed without a headlamp.

Reactions: Kellendv

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu