D-16 Weekend Warrior

PF3

Oct 25, 2022
I’m new(ish) to hunting compared to all you life-long hunters. Due to a busy work/family schedule, I’ll only be able to put in a few days and a full weekend this season. I’ll probably try my luck a little later in the season.

Can anyone shed some wisdom on our SD muleys? I’ll be trying my luck on public land.

Time in the field, trail cameras can help since they will be out there working when you are not there.

Hunter success rate for D16 in 2021 was 8.5%, so will take 12 days in the D16 field (average) for success in a totally new to you area.

You gotta put in the work, I think there is a huge misconception with hunting. Lots of people tend to think that with hunting, all you need to do is drive to an area, get out of the truck and shoot something. While that may happen in certain areas, TrapLine is right. Pay close attention to the statistics from the year before. If the success rate is only 8.5%, that basically means you would need to spend every waking moment of the season hitting it hard out there, and spend a hell of a lot of time scouting it before the season starts. Most zones have tons of dear, but they are put under enormous pressure year after year. California bucks from any zone are so incredibly elusive. The real reward is the amount of work that you are willing to undertake in order to have the success. Good luck to you.

Reactions: BoyScout

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu