D14 opener coming up. Who is going to be out there?

oscar

Feb 2, 2018
Corona ca.
I know most of sch is waiting for d16. I have been working at d14 scouting since summer. This is my first year and i'm exited! its almost all I can think about. I have bucks on cam and a plan. I'm doing this solo so this is going to be an adventure for sure. 4 days of hunting to look forward to.

D14 has had an influx of new hunters the last couple of years and sold out this year before August 2nd. Because of that I won't be making the trip up there, but man I am itching to get out. Just a few years ago you could get a tag the week before opening day.

Reactions: oscar
You and 2999 of your best friends.. blaze orange on every hill and traffic jams on major FS roads with lifted trucks full of “hunters” . The land of giants.... my favorite zone.

Good luck.

Great zone I saw a lot of bucks and does there when I go fishing Santa ana creek and Bear creek for browns and raimbows.

Camping at Barton Flats / fishing the Santa Ana / seeing big bucks / and having black bears wake me up at night was a staple of my child hood!

You and 2999 of your best friends.. blaze orange on every hill and traffic jams on major FS roads with lifted trucks full of “hunters” . The land of giants.... my favorite zone.

Good luck.

There are many road hunters up there. Guys are pretty casual about admitting it too, I helped a guy who got stuck a few years ago and he was telling me how he gets one every year from his truck (seemed oblivious to the fact that it was illegal). It's great for midweek hunts, just avoid opening day. Plus the rut doesn't start until near the end of the season.

Back when I didn't know better that quail were gentlemen birds who got up late, we would get up in D14 before the sun came up and while hiking we would see the outline of the deer feeding amongst the manzanita close to the ridges/steep slopes. they bed down in the thick stuff in the worst canyons, so watch them ridges afore the sun comes up. just me two cents.

Wow there was some weather. Stormed all night friday night rained/drizzled all day opening day. people were saying at least an inch and a half. I still got up and hiked and climbed to a spot I picked out before light. Visibility wasn't too bad. But trying to be still for hours while being damp and cold with the sun being blocked out by clouds is next to impossible. Had the area to myself. I thought there would be more hunters the whole weekend. Not so much the 2999 friends that were predicted. Most were casual hunters who were either road hunters or would go in a mile and a half and gripe about the walk. lol Its interesting to see and talk to different hunters who hunt different ways. Everybody having a good time doing it. Day 2 was beautiful I thought for sure something was going to waltz into my valley/mountain side and be mine. Sat for 4 hours then decided to move around and see if I could bump something up. Also hit it in the evening closer to camp Awesome watching the sun go down while checking a nice open field for traffic. Again no other hunters. monday it was a ghost town bad winds came back sunday night and never let up. I decided I missed my family and the windy conditions would just keep the bucks bedded down. Glad i have a stainless and synthetic rifle. A guy in camp waterlogged his walnut stock opening day. I beat up my stock rubbing on my pack for miles. Its not as pretty as it was when I got it, but I look at it as a tool, that is now getting some real use. I'll be at it again last week of the season. Got more time off for some midweek hunting.

Wow there was some weather. Stormed all night friday night rained/drizzled all day opening day. people were saying at least an inch and a half. I still got up and hiked and climbed to a spot I picked out before light. Visibility wasn't too bad. But trying to be still for hours while being damp and cold with the sun being blocked out by clouds is next to impossible. Had the area to myself. I thought there would be more hunters the whole weekend. Not so much the 2999 friends that were predicted. Most were casual hunters who were either road hunters or would go in a mile and a half and gripe about the walk. lol Its interesting to see and talk to different hunters who hunt different ways. Everybody having a good time doing it. Day 2 was beautiful I thought for sure something was going to waltz into my valley/mountain side and be mine. Sat for 4 hours then decided to move around and see if I could bump something up. Also hit it in the evening closer to camp Awesome watching the sun go down while checking a nice open field for traffic. Again no other hunters. monday it was a ghost town bad winds came back sunday night and never let up. I decided I missed my family and the windy conditions would just keep the bucks bedded down. Glad i have a stainless and synthetic rifle. A guy in camp waterlogged his walnut stock opening day. I beat up my stock rubbing on my pack for miles. Its not as pretty as it was when I got it, but I look at it as a tool, that is now getting some real use. I'll be at it again last week of the season. Got more time off for some midweek hunting.
Great report. Keep at it
LB

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu