D16 report

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Drove to an other spot. Got in before day light. Some one in the spot . I was heading to.
Change headed to second spot all ready taken. LOL hiked in 1.5 miles. Finally no one there.
Glassed all morning. No love.
Tons of deer tracks very little scat.
So more of a transition area.
The ground was beat up from fresh tracks from last night. Glassed the near by hills. Needed those 15x today. Started to circle back mid day. Ran into 2 more hunters.
This area might be good during
Middle of the week. Deer are nocturnal in this location. To much
Pressure. End of hunt I did 3 miles.
Mostly flat. Still taking it easy on the knees and feet.
BUT IT FeLT GREAT.
Lee

Glad to hear you got out there..twice non the less! Your persistence will pay off in more ways then one! Best of luck out there Lee. I decided to skip opening weekend but I will be out later in the week. The last 2 places I've scouted had a bunch of fresh scat but no deer while I was out. Hope to get in earlier and stay out later the next time out.

Glad you got out there! I think they went nocturnal on me too! Went out solo for and afternoon hunt and did not see anything. lots of trails and scat. Heard a few yotes later in the afternoon so maybe that had something to do with it. On my way out I ran into some other hunters that did not see any either which made me feel better but I enjoyed the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have pushed a little harder than I planned to. It kills me because I want to climb straight up the mountain. Because that's where the deer are. But hey I might get lucky.
Even so I had a great day. I was in good deer habitat. Good bedding areas, good feeding areas. All with in 400 yards.

I might have pushed a little harder than I planned to. It kills me because I want to climb straight up the mountain. Because that's where the deer are. But hey I might get lucky.
Even so I had a great day. I was in good deer habitat. Good bedding areas, good feeding areas. All with in 400 yards.
Lee,

Just sent you a PM.. one of the spots I know you hunt there's a decent shot if you can push up the mountain just a little bit. The deer do come off the hill there and most hunters wait for them below, but it's less successful that way versus if you can get higher up and watch the deer work their way down. It's a bit steep up a couple draws but there's some old deer trails I used to use while quail hunting that you could probably navigate.

Jason

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Drove to an other spot. Got in before day light. Some one in the spot . I was heading to.
Change headed to second spot all ready taken. LOL hiked in 1.5 miles. Finally no one there.
Glassed all morning. No love.
Tons of deer tracks very little scat.
So more of a transition area.
The ground was beat up from fresh tracks from last night. Glassed the near by hills. Needed those 15x today. Started to circle back mid day. Ran into 2 more hunters.
This area might be good during
Middle of the week. Deer are nocturnal in this location. To much
Pressure. End of hunt I did 3 miles.
Mostly flat. Still taking it easy on the knees and feet.
BUT IT FeLT GREAT.
Lee

I was on Laguna Saturday morning 5 hunter same spot , I saw 1 doe at 80 yds from blind, nothing more all morning was little bit warm , deer nocturnal on cams , I listen a lot of gobblers near me , afternoon saw a 1 Doe and 1 fawn in other spot 2 hunters in the area they saw 3 does and 1 spike no bucks for now, some young guys stalking on deers , they dont understand that is imposible hunt like that when the wind is in calm , with leaves all the place deer listen hunter tracks easy .
I saw this year more acorns than other years food every where too.

I back thursday full day ans sunday report later.

I was on Laguna Saturday morning 5 hunter same spot , I saw 1 doe at 80 yds from blind, nothing more all morning was little bit warm , deer nocturnal on cams , I listen a lot of gobblers near me , afternoon saw a 1 Doe and 1 fawn in other spot 2 hunters in the area they saw 3 does and 1 spike no bucks for now, some young guys stalking on deers , they dont understand that is imposible hunt like that when the wind is in calm , with leaves all the place deer listen hunter tracks easy .

Yes with no rain or snow all the oak leaves are noisy
All most in possible to stalk.
Unless wind blowing or noisy birds.

I may try my luck in Laguna middle of the week. Dark of the moon.
But hoping for cloudy cool days.
Will be using compound bow.
Yet to try out the grim reapers.

I carried my tri pod rifle rest and my tri pod seat. And mostly glassed.
It worked well. May use my portable
Gunner blind if it cools off with my rifle.

Took a another buddy out to help him fill his first D16 tag today. Saw lots of deer and taught him the basics of glassing. Two good bucks found but no play for us to make. First buck spooked out of the bowl for unknown reason. Second buck was bird-dogging a doe hard! Full on sprinting after this doe that wanted nothing to do with him. She still had a fawn from last year but was obviously starting her estrus cycle. She took a pee and he just about buried his nose in the sand in that spot. They never did bed down or stop moving until they too left the bowl.

Fun day in the hills!

Today was much better than Saturday, saw a couple doe, a spike and a small forkie that I gave my buddy first shot at. He didn’t feel comfortable shooting at 330 and by the time he told me the buck made it over the ridge.

One of the doe I saw was collared, first time seeing that!

I also saw a small grey fox, at first I thought it was a big ground squirrel until it stopped and watched me for a while. Man they are much smaller than I realized!

Did anyone else see the circle around the moon this morning?

Found a new spot. E-Scouted should be devoid of hunters.

I see lots of areas with saddles, and punch bowls. And very green.
But it would take a full days hike.
And then camp there. And would be
Better for two buddy's. For safety.
Lots of territory deep in.but very physical. These short hikes are probably getting to be not very productive. Deer are heading for the hills due to hunter pressure.

hmmmmm gobblers.......

Found a new spot. E-Scouted should be devoid of hunters.

I see lots of areas with saddles, and punch bowls. And very green.
But it would take a full days hike.
And then camp there. And would be
Better for two buddy's. For safety.
Lots of territory deep in.but very physical. These short hikes are probably getting to be not very productive. Deer are heading for the hills due to hunter pressure.

That’s great! Have not done the camp out thing yet but my buddy wants to hike in to fill our A22 this December so I will need to dress warm!

My buddy that lives in Julian just sent me a video of a bunch of gobblers eating grass in her ranch driveway. I offered to help remove them but didn't get a yes or no answer. Still greasing the wheels.... hopefully soon I will have permission.

A friend of mine has 40 acres but his wife won’t let us “take care of the turkeys” good luck hope you get permission.

A friend of mine has 40 acres but his wife won’t let us “take care of the turkeys” good luck hope you get permission.

Matt,

Have your buddy send her on a nice trip or spa day.. then put the hurt on those birds. She won't notice a few missing from the flock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu