D16 success

Flecko

Apr 26, 2013
Coastal San Diego
I went out Friday night after work, hiked the few miles in to my spot, and slept under a rock in my bivy sack. I had been there so many times in the past on scouting trips and last year for A22 that I found my way without a trail along the STEEP hillside in the dark no problem. My spot under the rock was still flat and clear from the last time I slept there.

I woke up at the first glow of sunlight on the horizon and walked 50 feet to a vantage point. After about an hour, I heard something moving below me. After 5 minutes, a spike popped out about 150 yards away. No matter how hard I looked through my binoculars, his antlers had no fork. A doe came prancing from above toward the spike. They were happy to see each other. I thought I might witness some Animal Planet action.

I was happy to see some deer! I was just getting down on myself for spending so many cold nights away from home, alone, having had no success the year before and having seen no deer during D8 this season. Motionless hours sitting while either too hot or cold... I hate to admit that I was almost over it and was contemplating going home. Then the hunting Gods spoke.

A large 2 point buck was walking up the same path the spike came up a few minutes later. He was as big as I have seen a deer at this spot.
5fa76ed923e1bb8792624895c8861e85.jpg
3ecc19c1ffe0153b3a802d3be7ca4c4d.jpg
I hopped to my feet, steadied my rifle on a rock in front of me, and waited for him to present a shot. I pulled the trigger and got a one shot kill. He only made it 5 yards.

All said and done, I'm very happy to have stuck in there, because hard work makes the reward and sense of accomplishment even better.

Flecko,

Thanks for sharing your story and pix.........It's amazing how lucky we get, when we work hard.......... ;)

Home butchering! Steaks and roasts are now in the freezer.
0a746ffc390092d4e0d8e951f4a6de26.jpg

30lbs of sausage: 20lbs mild sausage for smoking, and 10lbs red wine/porcini sausage. I found and dried my own porcini mushrooms for these.
142c818c81993959b7ee941fb4b6f947.jpg

I also made dog food out of the liver, heart, and any dirty cuts. I ground it all down and froze it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu