Daughters first in the lone star state

wackums back

Nov 6, 2013
My 9 year old daughter put a huge smile on our faces today. Here’s the scoop……

Ive been dragging this young lady along since she was 2. She’s literally endured 100s of days out in the field with dad and her younger brother and grandpa. She’s always loved the outdoors ! 2 years ago we bought her a .410 and she’s shot a lot and nocked down a few dove and ducks but has always been scared of the scoped rifles. This trip was very different.

A couple weeks back I handed her the old ruger m77 .243 that 3 generations have harvested their first deer with. She squeezed a few off dry and told me she was ready to shoot it. Once we got to Texas I put her on the sticks and she was spot on at 100 yds. 2” groups straight out the gate. After the fear subsided those shrank to 1”. She was definitely ready.

We had to go up to Oklahoma to see the rest of our family for Christmas. The whole trip she up there all she wanted was to go back to Texas and hunt so we hurried back at first opportunity.
After breaking the bank and spending a whopping $7 for her 7 deer tags and 3 turkey tags, we were off.

the neighbors gave us permission to sit in their blind with feeder and has WAY to many does so shoot away he said. The first group that came in was 7 does and fawns. She tried to square up on a big dry one but couldn’t get the shot she wanted, just then the feeder went off and they bolted. About 20 minutes later a different group of 20 plus came in to feed. She picked the one she wanted and showed impeccable patience and discipline. Her target turned broadside at 32 yds, the back deer cleared and she executed a perfect shot. BANG FLOP. A perfect double lung shot.

We cheered , we cried and the look of exhilaration of her first deer was absolutely priceless. This was one of my greatest moments as a father and even better than my own first deer when I was her age. This young lady amazes me. She’s a damn good angler and stone cold killer for only 9 years old.4182F17C-8CBE-4D95-996A-44B5251568CE.jpeg4182F17C-8CBE-4D95-996A-44B5251568CE.jpegCB72FD4C-B1C7-478A-9A3D-B0C8BB868E17.jpegF3305CC2-67A7-4BD6-9BAF-39C093DC719B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Start um young...it goes quick man..congrats!! Very cool.

And Texas is the Shizzle fo sho!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu