Deer Hunting San Diego

Juan

Jul 10, 2017
Hey guys, new to the forum and hunting.

I just got my hunting license this year and I'm looking to get out and try some deer hunting this year and have been starting to look at places to hunt just wanted to see if I could get some opinions on where to start scouting.

Thanks! have a great day.

Hi Juan,
I'm a new guy to the forums also, but been hunting for a long time. Public land hunting can be tough in So Cal, but if you're willing to do some back-country hiking, you can get to some pretty great areas. Your first order of business is now that you have a license, you'll need a tag if you want to hunt deer. Go to the CDFW wesite https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Deer and look at the map to figure out what zone you want to hunt (D-16). The draw for all the premium hunts is over, but there are still some tags left for some zones. https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=30896 There are still some D-16 tags available as of today.

Next you'll want to get some maps and/or a hunting map app. I personally like to use the old fashioned paper maps along with the newer technology. Your best bet is to get a set of BLM maps for the county. You can get BLM maps here: https://www.blm.gov/site-page/media-center/public-room/california/public-room-maps-sale You'll also want a set of National Forest maps. Go the the Forest Service Office in Rancho Bernardo for those. Spend lots of time looking at the maps and looking at Google Earth. Find your access roads. Do a sh!t load of driving and figure out all your access points. Lastly, get out there and do some hiking. Ironically, although I've been hunting for a number of years, I got drawn for an area that I have no experience in, and I posted a question very similar to yours yesterday. And I knew the answer before I even posted the question: Get out there and look around.

At the risk of pissing off the rest of this forum, here are just a couple well known SD County spots: Palomar Mountain, Palomar Divide Truck Trail, Lusardi Truck Trail, Black Mt. Road, Eagle Peak Road and Boulder Creek Road. And those are just general areas to get you to a trailhead to get into the back country.

Anyway, good luck and I wish you a fun, safe and successful season.

Last edited:
Juan,

There's no exception to scouting....With so many new options for you to get started, you should find plenty of spots in SD Co.....Onx Maps IMO is a must have....Cleveland NF maps, BLM maps, and Google earth are all pluses as well....Pick an area and study it. Then walk it early in the morning or glass late in the evening....Start close in at 1st....As you get more confident in your abilities, your walks can get further in....Don't over do it and don't over think it.

What rifle, knives, and backpacks do you have?....These will all help in scouting, the kill, and recovery.

Great post, Andy.....All those areas are good starting areas. And Juan, that's just scratching the surface on places to hunt deer....South county has much to offer as well.

Reactions: Juan
Additionall tip, lots of good info from other folks. One thing I would stress. Make sure you know exactly where you are. The Wardens are looking for guys to slip up. Even if you don't see them, they are there watching.

Hi Juan,
I'm a new guy to the forums also, but been hunting for long time. Public land hunting can be tough in So Cal, but if you're willing to do some back-country hiking, you can get to some pretty great areas. Your first order of business is now that you have a license, you'll need a tag if you want to hunt deer. Go to the CDFW wesite https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Deer and look at the map to figure out what zone you want to hunt (D-16). The draw for all the premium hunts is over, but there are still some tags left for some zones. https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=30896 There are still some D-16 tags available as of today.

Next you'll wan to get some maps and/or a hunting map app. I personally like to use the old fashioned paper maps along with the newer technology. Your best bet is to get a set of BLM maps for the county. You can get BLM maps here: https://www.blm.gov/site-page/media-center/public-room/california/public-room-maps-sale You'll also want a set of National Forest maps. Go the the Forest Service Office in Rancho Bernardo for those. Spend lots of time looking at the maps and looking at Google Earth. Find your access roads. Do a sh!t load of driving and figure out all your access points. Lastly, get out there and do some hiking. Ironically, although I've been hunting for a number of years, I got drawn for an area that I have no experience in, and I posted a question very similar to yours yesterday. And I knew the answer before I even posted the question: Get out there and look around.

At the risk of pissing off the rest of this forum, here are just a couple well known SD County spots: Palomar Mountain, Palomar Divide Truck Trail, Lusardi Truck Trail, Black Mt. Road, Eagle Peak Road and Boulder Creek Road. And those are just general areas to get you to a trailhead to get into the back country.

Anyway, good luck and I wish you a fun, safe and successful season.

I don"t have the words to express my gratitude towards you or taking the time and writing this, I truly appreciate the advice kind Sir! thank you VERRY MUCH.

Juan,

There's no exception to scouting....With so many new options for you to get started, you should find plenty of spots in SD Co.....Onx Maps IMO is a must have....Cleveland NF maps, BLM maps, and Google earth are all pluses as well....Pick an area and study it. Then walk it early in the morning or glass late in the evening....Start close in at 1st....As you get more confident in your abilities, your walks can get further in....Don't over do it and don't over think it.

What rifle, knives, and backpacks do you have?....These will all help in scouting, the kill, and recovery.

THANK YOU SIR! I downloaded the Cleveland NF app on my phone, but I will be purchasing onx maps and buy the paper maps.

I just bought a Remington 783 7MM rifle, I haven't bought any knives yet or backpacks yet, any suggestions on good brands for these two items? also what is a good spotting scope?

Additionall tip, lots of good info from other folks. One thing I would stress. Make sure you know exactly where you are. The Wardens are looking for guys to slip up. Even if you don't see them, they are there watching.

thank you chris240,I will keep that in mind.

Reactions: KoozeDeer
THANK YOU SIR! I downloaded the Cleveland NF app on my phone, but I will be purchasing onx maps and buy the paper maps.

I just bought a Remington 783 7MM rifle, I haven't bought any knives yet or backpacks yet, any suggestions on good brands for these two items? also what is a good spotting scope?

Knife wise.....I would go with a Havalon or Outdoor Edge razor knives (a 20 dollar Buck knife is with me at all times)....I'm not a big back pack guy, but many of the guys on here are....Lots to choose from....Another idem you should INVEST in 1st is a good pair of binos....Way more important IMO than a spotting scope.....10x42 Vortex glass would be a good starting point.

ps.....I'd find some copper for your rifle and you might as well start shooting it right from the start....You'll have to soon anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moves and Juan
x2 on the Havalon and I all ways have a multi tool in my pack no matter what. You can never go wrong with a buck 110.

Reactions: Juan
x2 on the Havalon and I all ways have a multi tool in my pack no matter what. You can never go wrong with a buck 110.
X2 on the multi-tool. I always end up using it for something. Just the other day while rabbit hunting, my .22 stovepiped badly, and without my Leatherman pliers I wouldn't have been able to free it up. Hunt would've been over.

Reactions: Moves
starting out the basic gear , rifle which you have , the best you can afford , Knife, Binos, good pair of boots, hunting clothing, that's comfortable. breathable. and a good day pack to start. carry plenty of water. I have a buck knife, I was carrying it for the last 45 years. and I started out with a cheap mosberg 308 that has killed a ton of deer. I second Steve's recommendation for the Vortex. but there dozens of good bino's out there. try all before buying one, same for the knife. don't buy cheap one the binos will wear your eye's out., as well as a good scope for your rifle. I got away with a peep sight for many many years. before upgrading to a reasonable mid range scope.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu