Delta duck forcast

I used to talk to John Devney on a regular basis...Great guy and loves his ducks.

I believe this waterfowl season will be good here in SoCal...Limited water means limited places for them to feed...The ducks we hunt most, widgeon, GW, gadwall's, and spoonies mostly nest in places that had water in Canada...My friends in the parklands said they had good sloughs & ponds, especially later...Gadwalls are one of the latest nesters...Pintail may be an issue, but we're only allowed one anyway.

ps....There's always goose hunting...Montana had a great recruitment year of honkers.

Reactions: skeet
I used to talk to John Devney on a regular basis...Great guy and loves his ducks.

I believe this waterfowl season will be good here in SoCal...Limited water means limited places for them to feed...The ducks we hunt most, widgeon, GW, gadwall's, and spoonies mostly nest in places that had water in Canada...My friends in the parklands said they had good sloughs & ponds, especially later...Gadwalls are one of the latest nesters...Pintail may be an issue, but we're only allowed one anyway.

ps....There's always goose hunting...Montana had a great recruitment year of honkers.
What percentage of SoCal ducks do you think nest in Canada vs nest in Northern US?

What percentage of SoCal ducks do you think nest in Canada vs nest in Northern US?

Don't really know, but I would guess at least 90%....Mallards, cinnamons, and gadwalls all nest near or in California....Since the west is so dry, I'm thinking that local production of mallards, gadwalls, and cinnamons may be down...Most concerning to me would be gadwalls...They have really taken the place of pintail and to a certain degree mallards...Bands show ours are from mostly Nevada & Oregon.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu