Desert Buck Info **NEW**

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
Hey everyone,

Hope yall are good?

I've grown up here in SD and been all about G13, D16, and A22. But recently I've been wanting to move out into trying for a desert buck or doe. Does anyone have any input on what tags I need for it? The best areas to try to attempt scouting and tips for getting into desert hunting? Never done it before.

Looking for somewhere to start but don't want to waste time in the wrong places if you know what I mean.

Thank you!!

Not sure what zones but I was thinking like D19 or D12. Like I said trying to find a foundation to grow on and where to start?

JW,

D-12 is a draw and you'll probably need points to get it.....I've never had a D-12 tag, but have hunted with folks that have.....We hunted the Orocopia's east of Highline/Coachella Canal.....Big rough country.

.2010-09-14 18-12-22 M 02_03.jpg

I had a D12 tag about 5 years ago and I sure could tell you where NOT to go! Unfortunately I did not have a good spotting scope at that time, which I feel is a must. I would start by contacting the DFG out there. Some big bucks in that zone, good luck!

I have seen a a few good bucks in D12. If I were you I would focus on areas that are mountainous near agricultural or areas that are mountainous along the Colorado river. I have seen decent bucks in both areas that meet this criteria. Not a lot of deer in D12 and most people want to road hunt in side by sides and quads. So if you are able to get a little ways from a road and glass for days on end you should be able to turn up some deer.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
JW,
D12 is a HUGE zone, and there are a lot of areas to hunt. My best advice is to start doing a lot of google earth scouting and get out there and put your boots to work. I got drawn last season and spent a lot of time out there but didn't get a chance to pull the trigger.

Got drawn a couple of years ago, it is a large zone for sure also hard to draw due to the number of tags they issue. I hunted the north part of the zone only saw 1 doe and a spike in the area I hunted. One of the last hunts I did before stopping to build my new house full time. The placed I hunted was a hard area to hunt but there are deer in there just got to know where and how to get to them before the hear you.. Got my info from the palm springs blm office as to where a good close place to hunt was.

Reactions: Sdhunt17

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu