Determined this year

Hiryuu

Aug 24, 2019
San Diego
So as tje title suggests i am determined to go out this year. I bought my d16 deer tag( if i understood right its unristricted first come first serve should be in thw mail). I want to go out. I NEED to go out. Even if i dont get my tag i want to go out for something. Anything. Im buying a 308 as soon as the gun stores open. Wife said "no not now", but im gonna take her approach and just buy it. I am ready for that show of fecal matter that ensues from it. I am looking to yall for help on my first hunt. This year is happening come hell or high water. I will kill something this year. I was adamant i would be out October last year for rabbit. I wanted a fall Turkey. Not any of that happened. I was depressed. Still am, but trying to have a positive outlook right now. Looking for some one who may take a new hunter thru the d16 to try and get a deer. Im starting walk thrus of otay mtn tomorrow. I was originally gonna have my friend come with me , for safety and help reasons, but he supposedly needs his license to even walk next to me. Gonna double confirm with dfg, but as it seems a nogo. Im disabled so dragging a deer alone is a stretch, but fudge it if i have to i will drag more than my weight of a dead carcass out alone if need be. Any one that would be patient enough to take me out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Your buddy doesn't need a license to be out there with you unless he is hunting

Reactions: Merle
So as tje title suggests i am determined to go out this year. I bought my d16 deer tag( if i understood right its unristricted first come first serve should be in thw mail). I want to go out. I NEED to go out. Even if i dont get my tag i want to go out for something. Anything. Im buying a 308 as soon as the gun stores open. Wife said "no not now", but im gonna take her approach and just buy it. I am ready for that show of fecal matter that ensues from it. I am looking to yall for help on my first hunt. This year is happening come hell or high water. I will kill something this year. I was adamant i would be out October last year for rabbit. I wanted a fall Turkey. Not any of that happened. I was depressed. Still am, but trying to have a positive outlook right now. Looking for some one who may take a new hunter thru the d16 to try and get a deer. Im starting walk thrus of otay mtn tomorrow. I was originally gonna have my friend come with me , for safety and help reasons, but he supposedly needs his license to even walk next to me. Gonna double confirm with dfg, but as it seems a nogo. Im disabled so dragging a deer alone is a stretch, but fudge it if i have to i will drag more than my weight of a dead carcass out alone if need be. Any one that would be patient enough to take me out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Start hiking and scouting around now before it gets hot. Rabbit season is around the corner too (1 July). Take a drive around the IV to look for good rabbit and dove areas.

Your buddy doesn't need a license to be out there with you unless he is hunting

As i understand if he "helps in any way" he needs to be licensed. I would suspect a game warden would immediately assume he was flushing, spotting, whatever. Just me assuming too, but would rather be safe than sorry.

Gun stores are open now. Might take a while to get the gun. Watch Youtube videos of gutless method, no reason to drag a deer other than getting to a cleaner or flatter spot.

i had to double check about the gun stores, i thought they were only doing already processed purchases only. Appears most stores are processing new purchases with appointments. I had planned on quartering out, or i guess gutless, the deer. Still gotta get it out tho. Figured worse comes to worst I build a wood sled and go.

Start hiking and scouting around now before it gets hot. Rabbit season is around the corner too (1 July). Take a drive around the IV to look for good rabbit and dove areas.

Im trying, my saturday got got when my wife went shopping for 4 hrs, and left me with my daughter. Not a bad thing in general, but I had several things to do, none of which got done. I have seen that IV is great for rabbits and bird, but i have no idea where to even go out there.

that's the spirit, send me a pm, I am also handi cap but let me know if I help. give advice

pm is in the works.

Negative.. except if he were carrying a firearm, that'd be tough to explain. My wife and daughter have come out with me a bunch of times just to tag along and they aren't licensed.
Definitely good to know. I did send an email to the regional dfg just to cover base. I was originally planning on using his 30-30 to save the headace of me getting a .308 and the few bucks it would cost. But as i stated earlier im taking my wifes approach on that one now.

I don't think a "spotter" needs a tag/license. As long as he's not carrying a firearm. If it was Jan/Feb, I'd say go hunting for jacks to get your first kill. Nice break in hunt and super fun. Too warm now for rabbits. If you already have a 30/30, that would be sufficient versus pissing off the missus. Good luck

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
You can start paying off a new gun while you use your buddies rifle. I borrowed a friends rifle all season who wasn't able to go out. Keeping the wife happy leads to many more hunting/scouting trips...just saying.. If you have a shotgun then head out the IV after July 1st for some rabbits. Look through the CA fish and wildlife site..you'll find a map of where you can do upland game hunting out there. Its warming up so check temps before you go out there it warms up quick.

Also if you go out with high expectations you usually come back with tags in your pocket and eating humble pie for dinner. Go out expecting to learn or to push yourself further then before but going out expecting to fill the freezer at least in my case usually leads to frustration and anger. Mad at myself for thinking It would be easy and frustrated that I'm empty handed.

Everytime I go out I learn and see more. Learn the topography of an area..pay attention to the types of plants, bushes and trees out there. I've found that seeing the plants changing with the seasons has been something I enjoy studying out there.

I take it you might be from the south bay if your looking to head to the Otay Mtns.

I don't think a "spotter" needs a tag/license. As long as he's not carrying a firearm. . . If you already have a 30/30, that would be sufficient versus pissing off the missus. Good luck

From a 4yo calguns thread. Guy there said, "F&G said he couldnt carry anything larger than a .22 rimfire." His statement doesn't cover helping. A few posts prior to that someome stated, "Also note that legally I don't think you'd be allowed to "help" your buddy in that scenario, as "helping" is "hunting". In other words, I don't think you can help him stalk the animal, or make animal calls, or anything like that. You might be able to help him field-dress or carry the kill afterwards, but maybe not. " I understand the stalking and calling part, but am stuck on the field dress and carry part. Thats where i would need his help potentially. The other thing is itd be his 30-30 id be using.

You can start paying off a new gun while you use your buddies rifle. I borrowed a friends rifle all season who wasn't able to go out. Keeping the wife happy . . . I take it you might be from the south bay if your looking to head to the Otay Mtns.

Yes. Keeping the wife happy is a must. I was gonna wait till the car , she wanted never drove and now im stuck with, is paid off. I think 2 more months cant remember. Funny thing is I told her not to get the car, I hate it, and now Im stuck driving it. Its a prius. I feel I deserve to get a rifle after all that. And yes i do live in the south bay.

Part of the reason I was gonna have my friend with me was I remember the laws of loaning a firearm changed, but then I came across this PC that removes the need to ffl transfer during hunting seasons. Is there anything aside from my license and appropriate tag to stay legal?

Penal Code 27950
Section 27545 does not apply to the loan of a firearm, other than a handgun, to a licensed hunter for use by that hunter for a period of time not to exceed the duration of the hunting season for which the firearm is to be used.

Also if you go out with high expectations you usually come back with tags in your pocket and eating humble pie for dinner. Go out expecting to learn or to push yourself further then before but going out expecting to fill the freezer at least in my case usually leads to frustration and anger. Mad at myself for thinking It would be easy and frustrated that I'm empty handed.

Haha remembered last nght i forgot a paragraph. I learned a long time ago nothing is guaranteed. I usually go out expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. Ive done a lot of fishing, and never measured a trips success on how many fish i caught. It is a good metric to use, but not the whole thing. I measure success on raw enjoyment. My usual goal, when fishing, is to get out and enjoy my self. If i get some fish in the process awesome. I planned on hunting in the same manner. Get out enjoy my self and if i get some game awesome.

Very good advice indeed, I always look at the glass 1/2 full, and not 1/2 empty, enjoy the time out in the woods,
it is what one makes of it, I enjoyed just been out there, even if I was not successful.
my only regret is not taking more pictures of my adventures.:expressionless:

Well then I think you deserve that gun good sir! I bought my wife a car last year so when I went to buy my compund bow I didnt even blink! I told her I could buy a new bow almost every month if I wasnt paying her car and insurance payment...she didnt say much after that! ;)
& Nice I'm down in IB. Good to see another guy from the south bay on here. I haven't explored the otay mountains yet but would be up for it especially after rabbit opens up. I'm sure there's some out there.

Got a little busy, but

Well then I think you deserve that gun good sir! I bought my wife a car last year so when I went to buy my compund bow I didnt even blink! I told her I could buy a new bow almost every month if I wasnt paying her car and insurance payment...she didnt say much after that! ;)
& Nice I'm down in IB. Good to see another guy from the south bay on here. I haven't explored the otay mountains yet but would be up for it especially after rabbit opens up. I'm sure there's some out there.

Only ever been out there for blm shooting, back when it was open, and saw one deer, a doe. Have seen random snakes and an occasional rabbit, only considered it for the hiking exp. I will say a friend of mine said he saw pigs when he was fishing lower otay last fall.

Very good advice indeed, I always look at the glass 1/2 full, and not 1/2 empty, enjoy the time out in the woods,
it is what one makes of it, I enjoyed just been out there, even if I was not successful.
my only regret is not taking more pictures of my adventures.:expressionless:

Altho im not usually one to take excessive photos, i planned on a few. Wife is big on photos and such, so it would make her happy. she usually complains i dont take enough photos on my fishing trips.

official response from 'the warden' :

"Your friend may accompany you and help you carry supplies, ammunition, etc.
If he is unarmed, then he can help you scout, drive, retrieve any game, etc. If on the other hand, he wants to carry a firearm (or other weapon capable of killing game), he cannot assist you in “taking” any game (this includes the above activities), unless he too has a hunting license and any needed tags.
Hope this helps, thanks for asking
'California Department of Fish & Wildlife Law Enforcement Division' "

both I and friend feel safe with him having a fixed blade knife on him. If im wrong please correct me.

i have more question and they will come in time. searches come first.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Got a little busy, but

Only ever been out there for blm shooting, back when it was open, and saw one deer, a doe. Have seen random snakes and an occasional rabbit, only considered it for the hiking exp. I will say a friend of mine said he saw pigs when he was fishing lower otay last fall.

Altho im not usually one to take excessive photos, i planned on a few. Wife is big on photos and such, so it would make her happy. she usually complains i dont take enough photos on my fishing trips.

official response from 'the warden' :

"Your friend may accompany you and help you carry supplies, ammunition, etc.
If he is unarmed, then he can help you scout, drive, retrieve any game, etc. If on the other hand, he wants to carry a firearm (or other weapon capable of killing game), he cannot assist you in “taking” any game (this includes the above activities), unless he too has a hunting license and any needed tags.
Hope this helps, thanks for asking
'California Department of Fish & Wildlife Law Enforcement Division' "

both I and friend feel safe with him having a fixed blade knife on him. If im wrong please correct me.

i have more question and they will come in time. searches come first.
you are good to go, tell your buddy to take a Hunter Safety Class:blush:

you are good to go, tell your buddy to take a Hunter Safety Class:blush:
hes working on it, altho hes annoyed he has to drive , any distance, about 40 miles to attend a "2" day course. he has his AZ hunting license from about 10 years ago, but not really useful. He also seems annoyed he "needs" a hunting license, and various tags/stamps, yet he understands why there are hunting licenses. And yes online, with inperson test, is more than he wants to spend. hes a good friend, but can be stupid. And yes i know the supreme court ruled ,horrible summery, " no right shall be converted to a license or have fees attached -rough summery-" Hes not willing to take that court case tho.

im slowly working him on the course. Whats better is his dad roasted him for not going with me when i went.

• Haha
Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu