Displaced mountain girl in so cal!

Jan 15, 2020
Hi, ya'll! Stumbled upon this site when searching the net for tips on yote hunts and thought I'd linger for a spell and get some great interaction with like-minded folks!

I'm originally from the northern Sierra Mountains, just down the hill from Truckee and grew up backpacking, camping, fishing, shooting and riding horses in the most beautiful forests on planet earth. I always wanted to hunt with dad, but mom refused to let me tag along. Now, at 49, I just purchased my second hunting license (first was about 5 years ago - didn't harvest anything on that one), with plans to head out with my new partner this Saturday and get back to doing what I always wanted to - harvest wild meat for a healthier life.

I am currently a "tiny home" dweller and have been living the full time RV lifestyle for 5 years and loving it. I'm just outside of Ramona, towards Julian, but as soon as my son graduates high school in 2022, I'm headed back north to my beloved Sierras, but ultimately will land in northern Idaho or northwestern Montana, hopefully sooner rather than later. Off grid tiny living is my goal, living off nature as much as possible!

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and learn a few things along the way.

- Kat, aka "Wild American Cowgirl"

Kat,

Welcome to SCH...Really enjoy seeing more women wanting to get involved in hunting (& fishing)...Lots of folks on here that are more than willing to help a new hunter out.

Like I mentioned earlier...The NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up is Feb 22nd at Lake Sutherland (your neck of the woods)...It's a really fun day with lots of hunting info...We even have a shooting range for patterning a shotgun...If you don't have one, we can provide one.

Also, Jan 28th is our NWTF monthly meeting at Kaminsky's in Poway...Great organization and a place you can ask questions and talk to folks directly...Hope to see you & Heather there.

Steve

Kat,

Welcome to SCH...Really enjoy seeing more women wanting to get involved in hunting (& fishing)...Lots of folks on here that are more than willing to help a new hunter out.

Like I mentioned earlier...The NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up is Feb 22nd at Lake Sutherland (your neck of the woods)...It's a really fun day with lots of hunting info...We even have a shooting range for patterning a shotgun...If you don't have one, we can provide one.

Also, Jan 28th is our NWTF monthly meeting at Kaminsky's in Poway...Great organization and a place you can ask questions and talk to folks directly...Hope to see you & Heather there.

Steve

Thanks for the welcome, Steve! I actually do have my own firearms, but need to get that @&*($ California background check so I can buy lead free ammo. I was able to obtain some 12 gauge shells from a friend Friday and went hunting yesterday with my new boyfriend, who happens to be an active member of this site! After quite a few hunting expiditions in the last 5 years or so, I finally got my first kill yesterday. A nice sized jackrabbit! Got her all butchered up and in the fridge, marinating in buttermilk to be fried up for dinner tonight.

I would love to join you guys at Kaminsky's. I will put it on my calendar. And, yes, Sutherland is in my neighborhood. My son would walk there to fish. We bass fish that lake when its open. A few years back, I took a butchering class from a guy in Descanso, where I also took the hunter safety course. Was super informative and learned a ton on butchering. My parents were firearms dealers for 15 years and dad taught hunter safety back in the 70s and 80s. Always have been drawn to this! Love to shoot and fish.

Looking forward to connecting with more like-minded folks on here!

-Kat

Kat,

Look forward to meeting you & Heather at the NWTF meeting in a couple of weeks...Boyfriend would enjoy it too.

For hunting SoCal your about in the best area, not as great as up north but not to bad either Yotes you will find most anywhere down here same with foxes when in season. have fun and good luck Oh no night hunting in Riverside county for yotes, San Berdo it is ok. not sure about S.D and imperial counties.

Hi, ya'll! Stumbled upon this site when searching the net for tips on yote hunts and thought I'd linger for a spell and get some great interaction with like-minded folks!

I'm originally from the northern Sierra Mountains, just down the hill from Truckee and grew up backpacking, camping, fishing, shooting and riding horses in the most beautiful forests on planet earth. I always wanted to hunt with dad, but mom refused to let me tag along. Now, at 49, I just purchased my second hunting license (first was about 5 years ago - didn't harvest anything on that one), with plans to head out with my new partner this Saturday and get back to doing what I always wanted to - harvest wild meat for a healthier life.

I am currently a "tiny home" dweller and have been living the full time RV lifestyle for 5 years and loving it. I'm just outside of Ramona, towards Julian, but as soon as my son graduates high school in 2022, I'm headed back north to my beloved Sierras, but ultimately will land in northern Idaho or northwestern Montana, hopefully sooner rather than later. Off grid tiny living is my goal, living off nature as much as possible!

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and learn a few things along the way.

- Kat, aka "Wild American Cowgirl"
Kat,

I really love the Central Sierras. I haven't spent a lot of time North of Highway 50, but I did Placerville south on 49 to around Yosemite. Love, love, love that area. Tuolumne, Merced rivers are absolutely beautiful. Your profile indicated Idaho, Montana off grid someday. That sounds like a dream come true. Your profile was intriguing and I wanted to reply and say HI.

Kat,

I really love the Central Sierras. I haven't spent a lot of time North of Highway 50, but I did Placerville south on 49 to around Yosemite. Love, love, love that area. Tuolumne, Merced rivers are absolutely beautiful. Your profile indicated Idaho, Montana off grid someday. That sounds like a dream come true. Your profile was intriguing and I wanted to reply and say HI.
Hi! YES! Highway 49 from Yosemite all the way up to Chico is my absolute fave. The Tuolumne area is just stunning! I spent some time in the area around Sonora a few years back and just love it so much. My dream will be a reality for sure! Just attended Tiny Fest in Del Mar this last weekend and got some great ideas. I have lived in a 30' 5th wheel for the last 5 years at a campground and love it! Can't wait to transition to a more off grid situation.

Hi! YES! Highway 49 from Yosemite all the way up to Chico is my absolute fave. The Tuolumne area is just stunning! I spent some time in the area around Sonora a few years back and just love it so much. My dream will be a reality for sure! Just attended Tiny Fest in Del Mar this last weekend and got some great ideas. I have lived in a 30' 5th wheel for the last 5 years at a campground and love it! Can't wait to transition to a more off grid situation.
Yes, Sonora, Angles Camp and surrounding areas is quite beautiful, sometimes I think why did I leave. Boils down to work and hopefully in a few years look for that Utopia again. Most likely out of CA. I love the climate and mountains of CA, but other aspects I am having a lot of trouble with.

Yes, Sonora, Angles Camp and surrounding areas is quite beautiful, sometimes I think why did I leave. Boils down to work and hopefully in a few years look for that Utopia again. Most likely out of CA. I love the climate and mountains of CA, but other aspects I am having a lot of trouble with.
Tiny house with really BIG property would be perfect, LOL

Tiny house with really BIG property would be perfect, LOL
It is pretty cool to find someone from my neck of the woods. If you ever want to chat about some of the sights I would be glad to. New Melones Reservoir, or Lake Tulloch, Merced River falls, there is even an old covered bridge a little west of Sonora that's pretty cool, off the beaten path a little. I am rambling sorry. Like I said it is nice to chat about that area to someone who knows.

I believe to my opinion , nothern and central calif. has some of most beautiful areas in the world. case in point Giant Redwoods, I had a friend move to east of Redlands,
Weaverville, It was beautiful country. Washington state is a fishing and hunters paradise, clamming, fishing , hunting , should of seen it all 45 years ago. it was gods country.
I was at Mcloud a few years back and it is beauty. Lakes, Rivers and Streams every where, Best German Brown trout. But the best trout ever was 45 years ago at the Olympic Mountains in Washington State. Fried Battered Trout for breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. They were delicious. don't leave Oregon or Canada out either..

I believe to my opinion , nothern and central calif. has some of most beautiful areas in the world. case in point Giant Redwoods, I had a friend move to east of Redlands,
Weaverville, It was beautiful country. Washington state is a fishing and hunters paradise, clamming, fishing , hunting , should of seen it all 45 years ago. it was gods country.
I was at Mcloud a few years back and it is beauty. Lakes, Rivers and Streams every where, Best German Brown trout. But the best trout ever was 45 years ago at the Olympic Mountains in Washington State. Fried Battered Trout for breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. They were delicious. don't leave Oregon or Canada out either..
Yes you are right west of Redding along the Trinity River, Weaverville and Whiskey Town, Whiskey Lake are beautiful areas as well. Highway 299 takes you through there all the way to Eureka. I think the Smith River is up near Eureka too. I think if you are real Lucky in a DFG draw you can hunt Rosevelt Elk up in that area, that is if they still allow it.
East of Redding up towards Burney Falls and Dutch Flat are beautiful going out towards MT Lassen. I don't remember the rivers except for the Sacramento and the very large Lake Shasta.
The coast range up through Oregon and Washington all the way up to the Olympic Peninsula is awesome and a sportsman's paradise.

Yes you are right west of Redding along the Trinity River, Weaverville and Whiskey Town, Whiskey Lake are beautiful areas as well. Highway 299 takes you through there all the way to Eureka. I think the Smith River is up near Eureka too. I think if you are real Lucky in a DFG draw you can hunt Rosevelt Elk up in that area, that is if they still allow it.
East of Redding up towards Burney Falls and Dutch Flat are beautiful going out towards MT Lassen. I don't remember the rivers except for the Sacramento and the very large Lake Shasta.
The coast range up through Oregon and Washington all the way up to the Olympic Peninsula is awesome and a sportsman's paradise.
You are correct my friend, Im bad, redding ,
trinity lake and trinity river, the locals called some thing different, my partner had a stream through his property, and deer every where.

Reactions: Bluesky0727
It is pretty cool to find someone from my neck of the woods. If you ever want to chat about some of the sights I would be glad to. New Melones Reservoir, or Lake Tulloch, Merced River falls, there is even an old covered bridge a little west of Sonora that's pretty cool, off the beaten path a little. I am rambling sorry. Like I said it is nice to chat about that area to someone who knows.
I bet I know the bridge....knights ferry?

You are correct my friend, Im bad, redding ,
trinity lake and trinity river, the locals called some thing different, my partner had a stream through his property, and deer every where.
Ha! We had a huge herd of deer that would camp out just outside of our house every day. Probably 15-20 of em. Mom wouldn't let me and dad hunt em tho! LOL

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu