DIY blind panels

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
i have been buying the avery grass matts for a long time and they work good but i wanted to make something more durable and hide even better.

in my peanut brain this is what i came up with. A frame of 1x wood with mesh and grass or what ever tied to the mesh.
the mkI version was made with metal mesh and grass from
20201122_151633.jpg

Tied the grass on with tie wire, this gives you a handy place to hang stuff on the inside but got to wear gloves. The MKII i used plastic mesh and zip ties to hold the mats.

IMG_20201227_125317_671.jpg

The mkI are 5' by 4' high. tried them out and i think 5x3 is a better size so the mkII are that size. just about right for my old man sitting in his chair.
20210102_092759.jpg

20210102_112407.jpg

The poles are used to hold them up in the water but yesterday hunted a dryish spot. short poles with two screws left out a inch or so hold the panels. shown here are the mkII 5x3 with plastic mesh. they are very light and could be carted pretty easy. going to mix in some cut tules and maybe some other brush to really complete the blind. if anyone wants me to buid them for you the answer is umm maybe how much $$ you got?

i forgot to add, i did cut a dog hole in one i made for myself. so the dog can see out of the blind and come and go with out removing the blind panels.

20210102_072522.jpg

Last edited:
No blinds for me I water smack the coots at the horn. Take my 25 and Towle the dog off at the dike.

extended range choke let’s me hammer them at 80. No such thing as a Magic BB with that choke in the 12.

To many blind retrieves, Dogs tail don’t work now, @Aeon what wrong with her????

Last edited by a moderator:
the photos are from the new river pass shooting rudy ducks
True ruddy hunters don’t pass shoot them, they smack them right on the water, my dad and I got a ruddy double this season at San J when two swam by the blind! The great thing about ruddies is that you can pile them up even from the sweatline.

Reactions: TomTom8302
just because you can does not mean you should

i have been buying the avery grass matts for a long time and they work good but i wanted to make something more durable and hide even better.

in my peanut brain this is what i came up with. A frame of 1x wood with mesh and grass or what ever tied to the mesh.
the mkI version was made with metal mesh and grass from
View attachment 47339

Tied the grass on with tie wire, this gives you a handy place to hang stuff on the inside but got to wear gloves. The MKII i used plastic mesh and zip ties to hold the mats.

View attachment 47340

The mkI are 5' by 4' high. tried them out and i think 5x3 is a better size so the mkII are that size. just about right for my old man sitting in his chair.
View attachment 47341

View attachment 47342

The poles are used to hold them up in the water but yesterday hunted a dryish spot. short poles with two screws left out a inch or so hold the panels. shown here are the mkII 5x3 with plastic mesh. they are very light and could be carted pretty easy. going to mix in some cut tules and maybe some other brush to really complete the blind. if anyone wants me to buid them for you the answer is umm maybe how much $$ you got?

i forgot to add, i did cut a dog hole in one i made for myself. so the dog can see out of the blind and come and go with out removing the blind panels.

View attachment 47343
this would make a good deer and dove blind

Reactions: TomTom8302
with the cost of ammo these days. why would anyone waste shells on ruddy's and coot's
After shooting a coot recently, I see why they get ignored. I picked it up and it was skinny, not round like a duck. I can’t imagine there being much meat on it. Even though they act kind of like ducks, they sure are built differently. A ruddy on the other hand, is like a more stout version of a greenwing teal, and tastes like all the other ducks I’ve shot at San J/Wister. I’d leave ruddies alone if I’m seeing other ducks, but they sure brighten up a slow day.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu