DIY Trail Cam Stake

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
i am working on some trail cam stakes and wanted to see if anyone else made their own and what they used or a pic of one they use or made. So far what I could come up with is a 2’ section of angle iron with it zip tied on. Been testing that height on my dog and seems to pick her up pretty well. The angle iron is a bit heavy, I think I will move to aluminum on the next one. It is functional but it wont let me open the bottom to access the card and controls, easily, with out cutting the zip ties every time, which is going to change my camera angle every time I check the card. Going to paint the stake brown camo to help blend it in.

I have to make multiples and would love some ideas to improve on.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I just use wooden stakes. But yours is nice, easier to adjust.

I too use mostly use national trees...Fence post are used as well....Nice cam posts none the less.

This is my DIY set up for when I can't find a good tree nearby. The wood stakes are like $8 for a 12 pack at HD or Lowes. Works fairly well except I wish they were a tad thinner; its a little thick to drive into the real dense dry stuff.

One thing to keep in mind if your using a low setup like this is vs mounting higher up on a tree trunk is too make sure there's no blades of grass/small branches etc anywhere close to the lens or else you're motion sensor will be going off everytime the wind blows zapping your memory card/battery.

Reactions: TrapLine
Bump that! That's a good way to come back to a place where there USED TO BE a stake and a cam in the ground.

I suppose in secluded shi-shi parts of Riverside and SD county stealing might not be as much of an issue as with LA. But I wouldn't do it unless it was a real darn cheap cam.

Yea low dollar cams, the places I have been checking out are pretty secluded, off overgrown single track trails, I am worried about finding them again myself, even if they are still there. With the stake I can drive them down into the chaparral and brush, not much of the camera is exposed, and even then only at a certain angle can it even be seen. Not many people step off the trails. I do want to cover the blinking led lights on it though when it snaps a picture, no need for them to blink out there.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu