Does my spotter need a license?

Herson

Jun 10, 2020
I have a family member who will be coming along on my bear hunt? He essentially a spotter. Does he need a license?? He will not be carrying a weapon and will only help pack out and glass. I searched the Fish and Game code and could not find an answer...

Any answers?

Just make sure he never touches a firearm while out there with you. I've seen people cited for fishing without a license for just moving their kid's pole from one rod holder to another at the moment a Warden happend to be looking at them.

• Wow
Reactions: sportyg
He can carry a side arm for his protection in the back country as far as I know. If he is asked what the firearm is for or if he is hunting. His answer should just be the truth. He is not hunting and the side arm is for his personal protection in the back country. That makes sense but then again this is Cali so....

He can carry a side arm for his protection in the back country as far as I know. If he is asked what the firearm is for or if he is hunting. His answer should just be the truth. He is not hunting and the side arm is for his personal protection in the back country. That makes sense but then again this is Cali so....
My buddy brought something similar to my attention recently..he said your Hunting and Fishing license can serve as a permit to have a concealed weapon on you while hunting or fishing..not sure how true that is..he sent me these links

The first link says how one can be in trouble for having a concealed weapon with no permit..2nd link talks about an exemption..

Anyone know anything about this??

My buddy brought something similar to my attention recently..he said your Hunting and Fishing license can serve as a permit to have a concealed weapon on you while hunting or fishing..not sure how true that is..he sent me these links

The first link says how one can be in trouble for having a concealed weapon with no permit..2nd link talks about an exemption..

Anyone know anything

Anyone know anything about this??
The way I read it you all should be good

Here is the law from DOJ concerning conceal carry while hunting fishing.

CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON WITHOUT A LICENSE
It is illegal for any person to carry a handgun concealed upon his or her person or concealed in a vehicle without a license issued pursuant to Penal Code section 26150 . (Pen . Code, § 25400 .) A firearm locked in a motor vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container carried in the vehicle other than in the utility or glove compart ment is not considered concealed within the meaning of the Penal Code section 25400; neither is a firearm carried within a locked container directly to or from a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose . (Pen . Code, § 25610 .)
The prohibition from carrying a concealed handgun does not apply to licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from the hunting expedition . (Pen . Code, § 25640 .) Notwithstanding this exception for hunters or fishermen, these individuals may not carry or transport loaded firearms when going to or from the expedition . The unloaded firearms should be transported in the trunk of the vehicle or in a locked container other than the utility or glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 25610

You can carry concealed per the above circumstances. California wardens are aware of this. Other LEO’s may not be. If you do this its a good idea to carry a copy of the law so as to avoid problems with an officer who is unaware of the law.

Here is the law from DOJ concerning conceal carry while hunting fishing.

CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON WITHOUT A LICENSE
It is illegal for any person to carry a handgun concealed upon his or her person or concealed in a vehicle without a license issued pursuant to Penal Code section 26150 . (Pen . Code, § 25400 .) A firearm locked in a motor vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container carried in the vehicle other than in the utility or glove compart ment is not considered concealed within the meaning of the Penal Code section 25400; neither is a firearm carried within a locked container directly to or from a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose . (Pen . Code, § 25610 .)
The prohibition from carrying a concealed handgun does not apply to licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from the hunting expedition . (Pen . Code, § 25640 .) Notwithstanding this exception for hunters or fishermen, these individuals may not carry or transport loaded firearms when going to or from the expedition . The unloaded firearms should be transported in the trunk of the vehicle or in a locked container other than the utility or glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 25610

You can carry concealed per the above circumstances. California wardens are aware of this. Other LEO’s may not be. If you do this its a good idea to carry a copy of the law so as to avoid problems with an officer who is unaware of the law.
I wonder if it applies to bow hunting as well..

I remember reading that if your companion "assists" you in the hunt he/she needs a license.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu