Does using this blog really works for finding a hunting Partner?

Ed Hunt

Mar 12, 2016
Hi all,

Don't take me wrong, but it looks like everyone is too concern about sharing their secret hunting spot that no one is open to meet new friends or hunting partners to go hunting. I have talk to a few people, but when I ask: "Hey, do you want to go hunting next weekend, do you know a good spot or a place to go?" then thunders and the rain of explanations fall from the sky about why they can't go. And that's the end of the conversation.

Maybe it is because it is hard for people to share this awesome places with other hunters they don't really know, fearing that other people will not follow the hunters ethics about the new shared places. Well, I have a recommendation. I will like to create a meet up, BBQ get together (Pod luck style), to meet hunters around Ventura County. There we can get to know each other, share interests about hunting and maybe explore new places to go hunting predators, deer, hogs, etc.

Is anyone interested? Please leave your comments, and if we have a quorum, I can coordinate a nice get together.

Have a great day all.

I'd join one of the multiple hunting orgs that are out there to find guys to hunt with OR just go on your own and find your own spots and talk to guys while your out there.
The forums do work but a face to face meeting in a spot that already has hunters in the area you want to hunt is much better.

I'd join one of the multiple hunting orgs that are out there to find guys to hunt with OR just go on your own and find your own spots and talk to guys while your out there.
The forums do work but a face to face meeting in a spot that already has hunters in the area you want to hunt is much better.

Plus 1......Maybe try a family member, close friend, or someone that hasn't hunted before.....Learn together.....Trust me, finding a good hunting partner isn't easy.....Be it on this site or any other.

Reactions: Geofish
I have a lot of hunting partners most of them actually all except maybe 2 are not serious hunters they are more like guys who like to shoot stuff and hang out. I actually enjoy hunting by myself unless I am hunting upland, there is nothing wrong with hunting alone it is peaceful. Get a map and get out there. One thing I do with some of my more serious friends is rather than go to each other spots I will say I want to go try a new area do you want to come. I find that approach works well when it comes to getting someone out with you rather then just trying to go to their spots.

Reactions: Moves
Having a meet and greet is a great way to meet new people so i think its a great idea!!!!!

it takes time.... i am not social at all and i have hunted with quite a few people on this site. Buckhunter, Thwacker, Slayersmith, Sluester, SDbirds... (i am still getting therapy for that hunt), lots of guys that i want to hunt with but schedules don't match up. Hunting is a sweat equity game as much as its a money game. Have something to bring to the table! that might be sharing a place you worked your ass off to find. Might sound lame but i am not about to take some random dude to my duck hunting spot or to sit in one of my tree stands. If random dude has a cute wife or wants to come over and wrench on my boat then maybe!

Most of the guys i have linked up with hunt like i do! wait scratch that ( i road hunt to much) but they all have something to bring to the table. Some take my wounded warriors out, some have land ( hi buckhunter) some bring girls, some have dogs. Dogs are a great way to meet others, and others are just cold blooded killers that get it done. A few are all of them!!!!

GO HUNT, scout and look around then post up! once people see you are not "most guys" you will have more connections. I know its hard when you start out new. You are going to have a lot of bad trips but i hope you can learn fast.

oh and i forgot! NEVER EVER go back alone to another dudes secret spot alone. that will get you black balled in a heart beat.

[QUOTE="Aeon, post: 82122, member: 126"

oh and i forgot! NEVER EVER go back alone to another dudes secret spot alone. that will get you black balled in a heart beat.[/QUOTE]

Perfect +1 I would hunt with someone if they have put in enough work to find there own spot...even if it hasn't provided it shows you are in it for the right reasons...go back without me or asking at least....blackballed!! Lots of guys like me have put down the feet and found some stuff....one day you will have your own like he said bring something to the table.

Aeon NAILED IT.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you all mean by "hot wife" and "nailed it" but I do agree that finding hunters in your area (local meetings of things like NWTF or on this site) then going to a new area in which each of you is interested in scouting / hunting for predators is the best way to get started working together.

I've found two hunting friends through this site.

I have met a lot of folks on SCH. Some have become close friends and regular hunting partners. But Aeon's advice above is solid. Become a regular on the site, get out and hunt and you will see doors open.

Pull up a chair and stay awhile. Hunting buddies may come from just doing that.

Contributions to sites like this go a looooong way. Once people see that you are actually out in the field their opinions of you will change.... for the better.

Generally the guys that post on these sites often live and breath hunting. It doesn't just happen in the fall. Hunting is year round work.

Getting burned on a spot sucks and EVERYBODY you take out promises not to do just that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2dogs1name
Aeon I'll wrench on your boat. I won't even ask to go out. That's also what local sites like this are for. Finding ways to help out other outdoorsmen. Life happens outside of hunting as well and we should all be willing to help others in some way.

I have also meet some good guys and youngsters on here and it's all give and take.

hey Ed, good luck in your quest to find a hunt partner. I like your idea of a bbq for a meet. I'd be there but Ventura out of way.
Ive been hunting for a few seasons and most is solo learning from people here. Very hard to do. Ive met a couple people from here recently but they are fairly new also and figure we can learn from each others mistakes.
Please understand these guys hesitation to newbies. they'll shine some light but they won't do your homework for you. Weeds out the posers that way.
But like they say, keep at it and get off the couch.
Keep an eye out for invites. They pop up once in awhile. (nod to tsp).
In case you haven't seen it, in the newbie den theres a write up about:
Hunter Codes, Ethics, & Etiquette

Last edited:
I'll share my experience which will help you get a better understanding of how it works here:

1. Joined the forums and read, read, read...did NOT post yet

2. Found certain guys on here that seemed to have a better understanding - singled them out and read all their posts.

3. Scouted areas based on their post insights

4. Hunted alone...learned...and documented my findings.

5. THEN made a few private messages about my hunts to those guys I singled out in the forums. They are much more willing to share that way.

6. Do what they say and share your results with them...good or bad.

7. Start posting about your hunts...don't ask for anything in general posts, just share results. The guys will comment if they want.

WHY this process (3 years) worked for me?

1. I now have a solid bird gun, the right decoys and gear because of their advice.

2. I have a few honey spots because of them

3. I always remember to report back to them my findings...(i.e. No turkey sightings to tons of quail...always return the favor).

4. Share your pics of successful hunts...these mentors like to see that you put in the work and got yourself a trophy!

...at least, that is what I did...

Last edited:
Ed has anyone actually told you they would not take you because of their secret spots? I think most guys on here would go with you just to get outside the house whether they took you to a secret spot or not. I would guess its more because people are busy as opposed to their trust in you. On the flip side, I certainly would not share my spots with someone I just met. But a good majority my friends know my best spots and that is because I know I can trust them. There is no substitute for boots on the ground.

I think a BBQ would be a great place to start up new friendships and expand our local knowledge. Keep us posted and if my schedule permits ill be there.

Great thread guys. Helps to see the different point of views from rookie side to the guys that eat sleep and hunt year round.

For me its always hard to find the time for someone else to match with my hunting schedule. Family, home and work come first to me and most of others i think. With that said if a newbie can work around that i dont mind helping a interested future hunter out a bit, of course they need to show some initiative to earn the trust. Oh yeah and dont be a cyco killer also.

Rick is right scheduling is a HUGE issue. Kids, work, life..... But he is one that shares of you put in the time. Thanks for that Rick. I've cited newbs many time with a bunch of notice but my work schedule allows me to get out weekdays and most can't. The help is here just have to work for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i am new and looking a hunting partner for my first hunting trip in Socal... Like some other people had posted it's great to go with a close friend or family. I don't have my own spot as of yet, but i think i might have found one need to put boots on the ground. If anybody is really looking a hunting partner i am in

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Lots of good advise. Thank you for sharing your ways of thinking. I definitely putting my boots on the ground, actually, I already started doing that since a month ago.
It is fun to fill out my back pack, Rifle, binoculars, compass and head out into the forest. Definitely I will gain some experience and will share soon my results, ... good or bad.

Todd1817, it looks like we are both newbys, so if you are interested, we can go out and learn from our mistakes...hahahaha for sure. Send me a message when you want to go out, we can meet a few days before and plan accordingly.

Drewski, hope you are doing well and your new born is growing fast and healthy. Nobody had said no because of their secret spots, that is just what I can assume by talking to a few guys. By the way, I have to thank one of the firefighters at the station in Los Padres National Forest, he gave me very good insights of where to look for hunting Yotes. I forgot his name, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu