Dove season coming up....... where's the ammo?

No joke. I spent $279 for 10 boxes of 28ga on Friday. No 12ga, a little 20ga, and I couldn't believe the price.

Reactions: MJB
I think that somehow Bird shot ammo (unlike pistol/rifle) will find its way to the shelves. There are too many hunters that only hunt once a year and that is Opening day Dove, plus dove hunting helps the SW economy.... so, I cant explain why it will show up I only believe it will.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Went to the big 5 by my house and the shelves were just full of pellet rifles and a couple boxes of 28ga and some 16ga..didnt even know they made either..it was sad.

I wanted to try some of the 1400-1500fps dove loads

Never seen this before

Lucky I stocked up in 2019 prior to the new ammo law taking effect, beacasue Friday Big 5 was selling Winchester 12ga steel #7 for $11.99 a box! They had 5-6 cases on hand.

Be prepared for the sticker shock and secure what you need a head of time.

Did the cost to the retailer go up?....Or is this just a case of classic price gouging?

Last October I was buying Winchester X-Pert steel 6's & 7's for $5.94 a box from Wally World in Montana (no tax)...Paid $27.99 a brick (4 boxes) at Cabela's in Utah for the same load.

Reactions: MJB
Did the cost to the retailer go up?....Or is this just a case of classic price gouging?

Last October I was buying Winchester X-Pert steel 6's & 7's for $5.94 a box from Wally World in Montana (no tax)...Paid $27.99 a brick (4 boxes) at Cabela's in Utah for the same load.
@ilovesprig, it's probably all of the above. Supply and demand is out of whack and so is logistics.

Last steel shot I bought was right around that price you mentioned20190702_054951.jpg, if you bought the 100 pack at Wally World.

Reactions: KoozeDeer
I know a little something about steel industry. I can tell you that my steel prices have literally doubled. I would have to imagine that will result in a 30-50% increase in ammo depending on components.

A little birdie at a local shop told me last year before the opener. He gave me a case and said “buy it now you will not see it again...”

Reactions: Morgan1776
I know a little something about steel industry. I can tell you that my steel prices have literally doubled. I would have to imagine that will result in a 30-50% increase in ammo depending on components.

THanks Drew.....I guess that explains it..... :blush:

Everything is going up and all said to be cause by covid. I say BS. This is all a result of the libs controlling everything. The local retailers are hurting for product. The car dealers have no inventory. The recreation industry is insane. Used rv's and boats are listed 30-40k above what the value on the books are. I am afraid what is coming

Everything is going up and all said to be cause by covid. I say BS. This is all a result of the libs controlling everything. The local retailers are hurting for product. The car dealers have no inventory. The recreation industry is insane. Used rv's and boats are listed 30-40k above what the value on the books are. I am afraid what is coming

Mike,

Right on the money....I'll say it again....There is no such thing as a "good" democrat these days....:angery:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu