Dry cured ham

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
I took this pig last January with Neil. It's my first attempt at dry curing. Froze the ham for three weeks at -20*F, then packed in Kosher salt for 10 days (1 day per pound). Then smeared with lard and coated with ground pepper, wrapped in cheese cloth and hung to dry for the past 11 months. Tried it today on bagels, and with tomato and avocado this afternoon. Tastes pretty good, but i need to slice it super thin because it's tough.
Has anyone else tried this? Prosciutto typically is sliced in line with the grain but I may try crossing the fibers if I can't slice it thinner.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419123801.546974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419123801.546974.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 95
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419123876.611320.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419123876.611320.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 99
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419123889.170742.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419123889.170742.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 97
Very intrigued and impressed.. where did u hang your ham? Just curious. I figure there's alot of variables with that like humidity and whatnot but sounds like it worked out. To slice it thinner and tender could u refreeze it then slice it cold against the grain maybe?

Lungpopper said:
Interesting. Don did you take any pics during the process ?
no pics during the process, but I have another one hanging and I'll send a pic. the method is from this book, which I highly recommend:
Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (Revised and Updated) by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn
https://itun.es/us/4dcdM.l
For aging while hanging, the ideal environment is cool and dry. I live on a hill and have a cave under the house that's cool and dark, so great for storing wine, but this ham started to show surface mold because of the humidity, so I moved it to the garage. Not as cool as I'd have liked, but dry enough to stop the mold from spreading and in the end there was no spoilage.

Very cool Don.

You have a cave under your house? Ummmm I'm switching your name to batman

Lol. Better clarify: cave-like environment. Pics to follow after the morning hunt.

Okay, here is the "cave",
And the other ham still hanging from the rafters in the garage. Both hams lost about one third of their original weight during the curing process.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419196036.390917.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419196036.390917.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 16
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419196056.980668.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419196056.980668.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 14
ilovesprig said:
Dang Don..........I thought I was looking at BevMo..........Nice cellar.......... ;D
last time my wife wanted to do some remodeling, this was my only request: that we screen in part of the crawl space so I could take advantage of the near perfect conditions for a cellar. The screen is necessary because slugs like the glue in the labels. I have a neighbor who ended up with a bunch of wine with no labels. Had a helluva party trying to figure out which wine was which.

When I first heard about the cave or crawl space under the house I was going to do a drive by and check your garbage for lime bags from sprinkling lime over the bodies (John Wayne Gacy)! ;D

Good looking wine cellar Don! When I start drinking again I might just stop over with a nice cut of beef and a few cigars to enjoy with some of your wine!

That would be fun. I'd better arrange a couple more pig hunts with Neil!

Ya really tasty. I figured out how to slice it paper-thin, which is key because otherwise it is really chewy and tough. The big thing with dry cured ham is what the pigs were fed. Prosciutto, or Parma ham, is from pigs fed with by products of Parmesan Cheese; Serrano ham (Spanish) pigs are fed nuts (peanuts maybe?). The last pig I took with Neil was out of an orange orchard. I'm going to dry cure those hams and see how they taste.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu