Duck Hunting in a Wetsuit

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
I saw a wetsuit in a sporting goods store this week and it reminded me of an idea I have. My idea is to hunt ducks in a wetsuit. If I wear a wetsuit then I would be able to swim out to retrieve my ducks instead of wading through the mud. Wading through the mud can get tiring, swimming would be much easier. Also, I’m a fast swimmer so I’m pretty confident I can outrace a crippled duck if I needed to. My only concern would be keeping my head out of the water because its not good to drink the reclaimed water at San J. But I’m a fast swimmer even with my head above water. A lot of you are probably thinking I should just get a dog. Dogs are expensive and require a lot of time and attention. A wetsuit is the complete opposite, It’s a one time purchase that would require a quick cleaning after each hunt and maybe a patch once in a while. Plus, I enjoy swimming. One time last year I had to pass up a refill blind because the water was too deep, I wouldn’t have to pass it up if I had a wetsuit. What are your thoughts on duck hunting in a wetsuit?

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
I was just sitting here reading a book when, bam, just like that, it came to me, self driving truck for road hunting. Anyone know how to get ahold of Hatchet. Coffee in one had weapon in the other.

Reactions: Hunter527
AFV would love a video of you retrieving ducks in a wet suit. Hell you might even claim the $10K and then be eligible for the $100K.... LOL

I know you're kidding, but look at videos of body booting. Stand in chest deep water in Mystic (will it be that deep?) hiding behind some v board silhouettes and you'll do much better than the shore blind.

Last edited:
I saw a wetsuit in a sporting goods store this week and it reminded me of an idea I have. My idea is to hunt ducks in a wetsuit. If I wear a wetsuit then I would be able to swim out to retrieve my ducks instead of wading through the mud. Wading through the mud can get tiring, swimming would be much easier. Also, I’m a fast swimmer so I’m pretty confident I can outrace a crippled duck if I needed to. My only concern would be keeping my head out of the water because its not good to drink the reclaimed water at San J. But I’m a fast swimmer even with my head above water. A lot of you are probably thinking I should just get a dog. Dogs are expensive and require a lot of time and attention. A wetsuit is the complete opposite, It’s a one time purchase that would require a quick cleaning after each hunt and maybe a patch once in a while. Plus, I enjoy swimming. One time last year I had to pass up a refill blind because the water was too deep, I wouldn’t have to pass it up if I had a wetsuit. What are your thoughts on duck hunting in a wetsuit?
get your self a boat, even a kayak, duckers is it legal to shoot or even safe to shoot from a boat , don't know? better be no body else hunting around you. they won't be happy with you. just tell it to him straight guys. at least he is thinking out of the box. answer is no.

get your self a boat, even a kayak, duckers is it legal to shoot or even safe to shoot from a boat , don't know? better be no body else hunting around you. they won't be happy with you. just tell it to him straight guys. at least he is thinking out of the box. answer is no.
No boats at San J, unfortunately, or I would be kayaking all over that place!

helped a Hunter stuck waste deep in Wister Mud, he was pretty freaked out, just happed to have my son's body board in back of truck.
slid it to him and he has able to push off the bottom, kind of skipping while half his torso was supported by the board.
He was exhausted so I pushed off the mud and went into the reeds to get his mud buddy seat and gun.
It worked pretty good and a lot safer than trying to access ponds in your waders.
Surf's up dude

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu