Duck opener 2021

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
My old roomie Jeff had a not very #47 draw for San J....When we showed up, the sweat line was outside the gate...WITW!...Duck Dynasty is alive and well.... :joy:

When it was finally our turn to pic ( around 4:20 am)....We were surprised to see one of my favorite spots still on the board (about 10 no shows),,,,We took it and off we went....After getting ready, making the tiring and treacherous 100 yd walk (lol), putting out our decoys, we were ready for the horn.

Surprisingly, it wasn't a wild tealfest...Just a steady single here, a double there, type shooting....A little cramped in the blind....So, I didn't shoot for the 1st 30 minutes....After the guys had 4 or 5 each, I got into the action....4 in a row and then it was all guns shooting...We finished up with 28 and a mixed bag...1 pintail, 3 widg, 5 spoondogs, 3 GW's, and 16 cinnamons.

Super fun morning with great friends....Even baby Hunter got to feel his 1st ducks....:heart:

.IMG_3378.JPGIMG_3370.JPGIMG_3377.JPGIMG_3374.JPGIMG_3373.JPGIMG_4389.JPG

Hey ilovesprig glad you had good a hunt. I was they single hunter standing just in front of you in the resi line. It was all Teal and Shovelers in the spot I hunted. Had a geat time until I got in my truck to leave and noticed my front winshield had 4 chips in it from shotgun pellets.

How did Wister shoot? SoCalHunt hasn't posted the results yet. Just wondering. I didn't hear a ton of shooting from that direction but guessing they still did ok.

Jason,

The guys that I knew that hunted, had limits...Heard it was tough for others....Mostly teal and your 1 pintail

Last edited:
Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I hunted Wister. I had my limit in 20 minutes. I'm a very average shot.

Lots of opportunity in the first hour. Then, it slowed some. My partner struggled to get his limit due to having a bad day shooting. We left at 11:00am. It was an awesome hunt.

Pintail, Spoonie, 5 teal for me.

Probably be the last opener for me ,man that was amazing at SJ ,they probably had a 7 bird limit, we had 1 teal &a hen mallard work the decoys the rest was 50 yard pass shoot ,cheeses I seen cripples dumping into the hard stem no one searching for birds ,we got the 2 maybe it's a hunter pic on the internet vs a meat eater all take the decoy hunting & the meat.

• Wow
Reactions: garlicsalt

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu