Early Bird

invisible man

Walk The Line
Oct 7, 2011
About 20 feet up
Got there early and set up in a spot I seen birds fly down to a few days ago. As luck would have it they did and I got this guy strutting 18yds out in front of me. He came down with 2 hens another Tom. 22 lbs, 11" beard, and 1" spurs. Done early and back down the hill in time for breakfast.

Attachments

• 2015 archery1.jpg
    2015 archery1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 2015 archery 01.jpg
    2015 archery 01.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 2015 archery3.jpg
    2015 archery3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • beard 11.jpg
    beard 11.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 40
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words. I tried to post a full report on this hunt but when I would hit the post button it said file to large and kicked me completely off the site. After the third time I was so pissed I went with the short version. Very frustrating for someone who can not type. I knew these 2 birds would be in one of 2 spots and literally flipped a coin to pick witch spot I would go to. And the spot I ended up at was sketchy. I would be almost in plane sight if they were there. And they would have to fly down to the single most perfect spot, and then they would have to move in the right direction for me to even get a half a chance at them. Well all these things fell in line like dominoes, and when it was all over I and I realized he was down I couldn't believe the luck. And I mean Luck was with me. As soon as they gobbled at grey light I knew I couldn't move a muscle till they got down to the ground. No calling or the hens would have went the other way. When I was at full draw on him through a 20" opening in the wild roses he was broad side looking right at me I put my 20 pin on his eye and squeezed it off. He flopped over and the other one jumped and ran about 10yds away and stood there gobbling for about 5 minutes. Then he just walked off to the hens and they disappeared over the dam. He is my best archery bird and I feel the entire morning was a gift. I checked the NWTF records for Cali, and he is way at the top for archery bird. Ill take luck over anything else any day in the woods.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu