Eight D16 bucks in 6 years and still have an A22 tag

brad nsw

Oct 24, 2015
Not on par with the last bucks but it's meat on the table which is always better than tag soup!

3 - 4 day excursions (11 nights in a tent, 8 gallons of water packed in and a 3 mile pack out)

Second buck (on public) I saw in 12 days. First was a nice 3x3 at 190yds but his was only in my shooting lane for 2-3 seconds and then dissappeared.

Well it took 9 days for me to figure out what was different this year. Deer were using the normal game trails in late Jul and early August so I was getting nice pics on game cameras. Unfortunately those trails dried up come hunting season. It wasn't pressure because I've never seen a hunter near where I hunt.

Day 9, I was doing a noon time walk about and found lots of fresh tracks clustered around an oak tree that was droping acorns. All this wind has knocked tons of acorns down, IMO much more than normal. Found a couple more producing oaks and set up cameras. Viola. Big Forkie, Nice 3x3, small forkie, spike with a crabclaw and another spike, all in 2 days.

Day 10 I set up 150 yds from an oak with action. 2 doe come in at 3PM, then another doe with two fawns. Brouse till 4:30 and then head off. around 5:30 twilight a little spike comes in. Can't tell if it's the crabclaw...I'm getting desperate since day 12 (20 Nov) is my last morning...dad passed away and have family and funeral obligations for the rest of the season.

Day 11, I set up in rocks 90 yds from another oak with fresh prints and game camera pics of bucks. 10AM -2PM I'm pinned down by 2 doe and a fawn. They actually bed 70 yds from me around noon. Around 1:30 they are joined by 3 more does and all start feeding again. at 2PM they all stop and look left...enter this years little forkie. Last afternoon, I'm desperate for anything wiht a fork, since I have to hike out at 10AM the next morning. No hesitation here. One shot at 75 yds. He walks 10 steps and drops. All 5 does just stand there looking at him for the next few minutes, till I stand up to tag this years D16.

After the funeral and some work obligations in early Dec, I'll be back up with the bow looking for that 3x3
IMG_20181119_200325_592.JPG
Here is the 3x3 I'll be trying to arrow.
IMG_20181121_003618_793.jpg

Last edited:
Way to fill the tag! Meat in the freezer is what’s important. Sorry to hear about your dad!

Thanks all.

Nice internment ceremony at Miramar for a great man today. Full color guard for a combat vet (two infantry tours in Vietnam) with 20 years in the army.

Alzheimer's took him from us the last 15 years but I got to tell a good rabbit hunting story when I was 14 and he gave me "the talk" about women...1) Loyal 2) Good family and 3) Big breasts. Took his advice 30 years ago and still married, even with my hunting affliction...

That's alot of deer..good job.

Brad , my condolences. I lost my dad in 2001, and my mother 2003. All we have is memories of the good times. Dad went in his sleep. Mom was tougher. She had cancer. Thought I share because
It a tough time. Some of us have been through it.
May your father Rest in peace.
My prayers are with you and your family.
Lee

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
That was a hell of a story and I'm sure your dad was with you on that hunt! Congratulations on your successful hunt and congrats to everyone who's been able to get it done this season! I'm going out tomorrow (black Friday hunting) one last time this season and whether I fill my tag or not I've learned a lot and have had some great times out in the wilderness. Sprained my foot my first day out and continued to scout/hunt on it, determined to not let it set me back. This is my first year hunting and all I can say is..I'm hooked! Already looking at out of state tags and planning my next year! Not losing focus tho..season is not over yet and hoping to get some meat in the freezer!

Cheers to all you fine gentlemen and I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu