Ejection issues

Papadeuce

Aug 27, 2018
Carlsbad
I'm having troubles with case ejection on some rounds out of my gun and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or where I should take it to have it looked at.

The bolt cycles totally fine with nothing in the chamber. It cycles fine when I load rounds into the magazine and don't shoot them but simply cycle through 3. After shooting a round, the bolt handle lifts up but I have to smack it with a rubber mallet to get it to pull back and eject the case.

The loads I'm shooting are 140 gr. Hornady SSTl.
COAL is 2.690"
Cast trimmed is 1.915"

This is a 6.5 creedmoor Savage 110.

All those specs are within safe numbers and specs. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

With my limit experience I would say your brass is expanding too much for what ever reason. I take it these are your reloads.

can we see a photo of the back of one of the cases please.

what is the rest of your load data.. sounds like a over pressure

Heavy bolt lift is a typical sign of over pressure. How much are you jumping the bullet? How much neck tension? How much are you bumping the shoulders back?

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Have you measured your lands? I would stretch it out to 2.8-2.85 COAL try and get it 10-20k off the lands? Hopefully that will relieve some pressure in the cartridge as well.

Some guns just shoot different I have a 280AI that when loaded to Bergers specs it blows primers out of the case. I have to load it 2-grains less than recommended but the barrel is super fast. Every gun is different.

Reactions: JakeSCH
Have you measured your lands? I would stretch it out to 2.8-2.85 COAL try and get it 10-20k off the lands? Hopefully that will relieve some pressure in the cartridge as well.

Some guns just shoot different I have a 280AI that when loaded to Bergers specs it blows primers out of the case. I have to load it 2-grains less than recommended but the barrel is super fast. Every gun is different.

Same. I find that I get 100 fps faster than Nosler's load data...and I get pressure before their max's as well.

@Papadeuce you are running into pressure. Many things can cause this.

powder weight
brass volume
soft / bad brass
distance to lands
Oil in chamber (recently cleaned?)
etc.

Serious recommendation is to buy higher quality brass and work your way up to pressure. You will get better results. Using your current brass is fine, but you need to start low and work you way up...ideally measuring each shot for velocity.

I know you prolly already know this but, find issue and resolve it before you shoot again.

The powder load is close to the max. Punkur67 asked what the distance to the lands was, but you never responded. Check headspace?

Primer does not look that bad, are any of them cratered, any funny marks on the head of the brass?

back the load off, if the problem goes away then boom you figured it out. Did you work up to the load.

Probably not headspace, but for giggles measure the shoulder with a shoulder bump gage. Just see what a fired case is next to a resized one. You should know this one already as it's how you set your die up. If it's a lot then you know your chamber is over sized. This will cause all kinds of trouble but prob not a stuck bolt. When I resize I push the shoulder
Back. 001 for target bolt 002 for hunting bolt and 003 to 005 for a Ar15. If it's undersized then you can't close the bolt on a loaded round.

Find your lands! Use the horandy oal gauge or even better use the wheeler method. A Bullet that is jammed or touching will cause a spike in pressure. Some target guys jam or touch but it's a horible idea for a hunting gun.

So take some fired brass, bump them back 001, Check the length and trim if needed, reduce the load by a couple gr. Seat the bullet. 030 off the lamds. Send it and if it s all good then start working up till you get a good load.

Reactions: TRICER
Really sorry about that fellas. Had some personal shit I had to attend to the last couple of days.

Thanks for all the responses and questions. No shortage of knowledge on here, lol.

I checked all my numbers with a guy that’s been helping me learn this whole process, and everything but my powder load was correct for my rifle. Like someone said, all rifles are different. I was under the max load based on the Hornady manual but it was too much for my gun apparently.

I built up a few rounds today with 38 gr instead of 39.6 and had ZERO issues. The groups were good enough for me to work with on finding a good load moving forward so I’m more than happy. I’ll slowly build up from there.

Again, thanks for all the input and help. Sorry to be a pain!

Reactions: TRICER
Really sorry about that fellas. Had some personal shit I had to attend to the last couple of days.

Thanks for all the responses and questions. No shortage of knowledge on here, lol.

I checked all my numbers with a guy that’s been helping me learn this whole process, and everything but my powder load was correct for my rifle. Like someone said, all rifles are different. I was under the max load based on the Hornady manual but it was too much for my gun apparently.

I built up a few rounds today with 38 gr instead of 39.6 and had ZERO issues. The groups were good enough for me to work with on finding a good load moving forward so I’m more than happy. I’ll slowly build up from there.

Again, thanks for all the input and help. Sorry to be a pain!
Happy you you resolved the issue and nobody got hurt.

So it sounds like over pressure even though your photo's of the case did not show cratered primers or primer cup flow. Take a look at the case just above the base and see if you looking at the brass expanding farther than the case base (harder to see with nickel cases as straight brass will show a shiney spot above the base). Bullet depth seating and jump or bad brass could all be a part of the problem as well. Glad to hear you are headed towards a resolution.Please post how it turns out.

Reactions: Papadeuce

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu