El Centro/Brawley/Imperial Valley Dove - field advice for this week?

Bachmanmw

Oct 25, 2015
I took a few days off this week and I’m thinking of getting an early morning start at some doves. I had decent luck a few weeks back on the Howell Road field (marked 412), but I’m really trying to get the scoop on anywhere to try in that area. I’ll be departing Ramona, CA early enough to be there gun in hand before sunrise. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the site
1st word of advise is don’t post names or locations of hunting spots on here.
2nd it will be a little slower right now in the second season try and get near any of the granaries or dairies, also look for large trees in the middle of nowhere they always produce dove in the valley.
3rd get a waterfowl stamp and a federal stamp and jump shoot some of the canals for ducks. You would be surprised him many ducKs are in even the small canals right along the fielsss. Look for cattails and walk alon the canal. You can use the same duck loads to shoot pheasant if you get luckey enough to jump one.
4th if you can get near a alfalfa field early in the morning there should be rabbits make sure you use steel the duck loads will work just get #4s

Welcome to the site
2nd it will be a little slower right now in the second season try and get near any of the granaries or dairies, also look for large trees in the middle of nowhere they always produce dove in the valley.
3rd get a waterfowl stamp and a federal stamp and jump shoot some of the canals for ducks. You would be surprised him many ducKs are in even the small canals right along the fielsss. Look for cattails and walk alon the canal. You can use the same duck loads to shoot pheasant if you get luckey enough to jump one.
4th if you can get near a alfalfa field early in the morning there should be rabbits make sure you use steel the duck loads will work just get #4s

X2.....Especially #1

Welcome to the site
All spot on advice.. only thing I'd add is if you can't hunt right around a feedlot, look for some wildland nearby (especially with trees) that the birds may use as a mid-morning roost or at least fly over.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Great advice Truduct.
I like #3, jump shooting ducks works very well and I mix in pheasant hunting at the same time. One never knows what species of duck you will find, check it out my buddy got this guy near Brawley last week and my cousin harvested 2 honkers from an alfalfa field just yesterday.IMG_0321.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice Truduct.
I like #3, jump shooting ducks works very well and I mix in pheasant hunting at the same time. One never knows what species of duck you will find, check it out my buddy got this guy near Brawley last week and my cousin harvested 2 honkers from an alfalfa field just yesterday.View attachment 37084
Very cool. Had one do a low fly by of our blind a couple years ago but I was texting and missed the chance haha.

Very cool. Had one do a low fly by of our blind a couple years ago but I was texting and missed the chance haha.

lol, that phone thing has gotten the best of me also. I do like the airplane mode option.
The first time I ever had a duck "buzz" me was crazy, I wasn't sure what I had just witnessed. Do all duck do that supersonic flying or is it just certain ones?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Welcome to the site
Thanks for the great advice - New to hunting. I've beed down to Brawley twice for dove now I can look for some bigger birds at the same time.

40 years?.....Euros have only been in Imperial for about 20.....Maybe it used to be mourners.....;)
I was talking about "doves" in general... of course with time it has changed from mourning to euors. And my grandma had euros and pigeons as pets/food way longer that 20 years ago, in Heber. So maybe it was her fault that the euros are everywhere now. Happy Hunting guys!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Geeze Richard.....Pissed?.....About what?.....It was a cool picture and all I stated is we can't touch (shoot) them since El Toro shut down hunting in Heber.

ps......LOL.....Means Laugh out loud and NOT serious.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu