Elk gun

Papadeuce

Aug 27, 2018
Carlsbad
Ok, I know this is going to open a can of worms as everyone has an opinion but that's why I'm asking. If you were going to buy/build a gun for elk sized game, what caliber, etc. would you go with? This wouldn't be a truck gun as I hike to hunt so weight is a consideration. I can hand load but that's not a priority for me so factory ammo would be fine too. Also, I shoot left handed as I'm blind in my right eye so that removes some factory guns. Let's call the budget $2K without glass. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Let the games begin!

I've killed about 10 elk for reference, I know some have killed way more/less. If I were buying a dedicated elk gun it would be a 300 or 338. If you have a 7mm already I would just use that but more gun is ideal IMO if you need to buy one.

Personally (I'm young and like investing), I'd buy a Ruger American, X-bolt, tikka, savage Ultralite in 300 win, wsm, or PRC and call it a day. I would handle ALL of them and see what feels good to you though! I am unsure if they make them in left but Christensen MPR in 338L can be had for $2k. I can't think of a better Western elk gun/setup if you're cool with the extra $$$. Those chassis guns are sweet for building stable shooting setups in field.

I went with 300 WM with several rifles, but going 300 PRC, 300 WSM, 7 PRC, or 7 Rem Mag are great options. Basically personal preference at that point and ease of getting reloading components.

For rifles, i like Tikka, Browning X-bolt, CA Arms FFT for that price point. If I was going tikka, I would lean towards 300 WSM or 7 PRC due to mag length limits. I went with CA and customs so i can have longer COALs.

Reactions: 180ls1
The other option is just buying what you already shoot but in the proper caliber. That way you are extremely comfortable with the form/function.

The other option is just buying what you already shoot but in the proper caliber. That way you are extremely comfortable with the form/function.
That’s also a good idea.

Thanks for all the responses. Time to do some research!

I have a few tikkas but I honestly love my sons X-Bolt. 1 gun to get it done Xbolt 7RM or 300WM. Leupold VX3i on top with tally rings.

Reactions: Papadeuce
I'm an old guy.....Winchester Mod 70, in 30-06 has probably killed more elk than all the other calibers combined................. :blush:

Steve,

I have a soft spot for those. That's what my dad runs and loves. Well, its a 300wm. He is never too concerned about ammo choice or any of the fancy stuff, just gets outdoors and lets it eat. It sure has suited him well.

AZ Bull Pops.jpgAZ ELK Late.jpg

Last edited:
I'd build a 338 Lapua with a Granite Mountain Mauser action, Douglas barrel and a XXX grade English walnut classic stock. Ed F

This would be a great gun, but I would hate to damage a walnut stock.

My back up is a Win Mod 70 in 06 180gr SST loaded hot killed lots of elk out to 550yds

My new gun is the x bolt HC MAX LR, upgraded trigger spring 1.8lbs pull in 6.8 W 175gr lead or 162gr hammers for copper needs.
This gun is a pleasure to shoot, just wish we could have suppressors.

Ok, I know this is going to open a can of worms as everyone has an opinion but that's why I'm asking. If you were going to buy/build a gun for elk sized game, what caliber, etc. would you go with? This wouldn't be a truck gun as I hike to hunt so weight is a consideration. I can hand load but that's not a priority for me so factory ammo would be fine too. Also, I shoot left handed as I'm blind in my right eye so that removes some factory guns. Let's call the budget $2K without glass. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Let the games begin!
Tikka 300WSM

Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu