Elk Ribs

Have you ever tried cooking wild game meat on the go, in the wild, for example? One of my friends tried it and he loved it. I am not that advanced yet so I stick to normal recipes like on https://under-the-open-sky.com/five-great-food-ideas-for-your-outdoor-adventure/ However, I'd like to try something more "rough" too. Does any game meat require a lot of preparation before being cooked? I'd be happy to know, my family would love to eat some elk too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Have you ever tried cooking wild game meat on the go, in the wild, for example? One of my friends tried it and he loved it. I am not that advanced yet so I stick to normal recipes like on https://under-the-open-sky.com/five-great-food-ideas-for-your-outdoor-adventure/ However, I'd like to try something more "rough" too. Does any game meat require a lot of preparation before being cooked? I'd be happy to know, my family would love to eat some elk too.

You just treat it just like any other meals, except for steaks you want closer to rare and I enjoy my other cuts low and slow. For my steaks I just sprinkle a tiny bit of salt / pepper and use a meat tenderizer.

If you really wanted to cook it in the field I would recommend tenderizing the meat with a rock, but typically I am so exhausted after I pack out the meat that I just want a beer and sleep. Lol

I also recently made elk tongue taco's which turned out great! After braising them for 4 hours, I peeled and diced them and pan fried in an adobo sauce. Just make up recipes as you go like you would any other meal using store bought meat.

Look up meateater episodes. You get a hunt and a cooking lesson in every episode.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
You just treat it just like any other meals, except for steaks you want closer to rare and I enjoy my other cuts low and slow. For my steaks I just sprinkle a tiny bit of salt / pepper and use a meat tenderizer.

If you really wanted to cook it in the field I would recommend tenderizing the meat with a rock, but typically I am so exhausted after I pack out the meat that I just want a beer and sleep. Lol

I also recently made elk tongue taco's which turned out great! After braising them for 4 hours, I peeled and diced them and pan fried in an adobo sauce. Just make up recipes as you go like you would any other meal using store bought meat.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think trying what you have suggested me to do will end up being such a huge fail. Then again you learn from mistakes. :>

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu