Elk Sausage attempt #1

Wister Junkie

Nov 2, 2016
20200331_034451.jpg
Made some elk jalapeno cheese sausage a few weeks back. I added in pork belly for fat and followed an online recipe, but ended up tasting like hamburger in casing. It was good, but needs improvement. I'm thinking a finer grind and high temp cheese (tip from PaulC). Any other suggestions? Want to try a chorizo or hot link recipe next if anyone has input its appreciated! Hope everyone is doing good!

Awesome. High temp cheese is what I have read as well. I have never made it my self.

If it tastes like hamburger then increase the seasoning and pork?

I've gone heavier on majorame and fennel seed with good results.

View attachment 43678
Made some elk jalapeno cheese sausage a few weeks back. I added in pork belly for fat and followed an online recipe, but ended up tasting like hamburger in casing. It was good, but needs improvement. I'm thinking a finer grind and high temp cheese (tip from PaulC). Any other suggestions? Want to try a chorizo or hot link recipe next if anyone has input its appreciated! Hope everyone is doing good!
When I do game sausage in casings I cut it 50-50 with pork shoulder or butt roast. It works for me. When I do regular grind and ground sausage I just cut in 10% pork fat. I run a 1.5HP weson and i only use the course plate but I do at least 2 passes before I stuff. The fine plate is always a mess and the final result is more of a mush than a grind.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Looks good....as others have said...keep at it! Can be very good when you get it right. Even makes goose taste good.....lol..

Off the top, from what you said, wonder if maybe you didn't get the level of Salt right for your tastebuds.

Looks you really like a Hot palette of flavors. (Just curious, are you a Smoker?) So you'd probably enjoy an amount of Sriracha. Or this one https://www.hotsauce.com/el-yucateco-xxxtra-hot-chile-habanero/

Some other ingredients you might experiment with could be :

[These add a more "Savory" flavor]
Liquid Smoke (Comes from Hickory)
Chicken Boullion
Tomato Boullion
Garlic Powder
Bacon grease from Applewood Bacon

Cumin (<-- The main ingredient that your tongue likes about Enchilidas)
Mild Curry
Turmeric (if you add this, very little)
Oregano and Sweet Basil (like a 3:1 ratio with each other)
Paprika (or it's cousin Annatto) (<-- These cast a little Orange-ish coloration)
Cilantro (Dried)

EDIT: Also lately I've been experimenting with adding Tajin into things. Bet you might like that. https://www.tajin.com/us/

And always... some amount of Accent, and Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

After you grind and then knead in the spices into your ground in the mixing bowl. (<-make sure you do this thoroughly to evenly distribute all the stuff you add) Cook a small portion in a pan to spot-check and adjust as needed.

The trickiest thing will be slowly bringing the desired level of Salt up. If you blow it and go too high with the Salt, add back in some more meat into the mix to bland it back down.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAL'NDN
Like Larry said, cook up a tiny bit in your skillet before you package it. That way you can taste to determine if more seasoning is needed. I always end up under seasoning on my first pass.

**EDIT** i really need to read other comments before i posted...this was said a couple of times already

Last edited:
Reactions: msailor
You can also buy the seasoning packs from High Mountain Seasonings out of Wyoming.

Looks good to me. I always fry a little in a pan to taste before stuffing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like what a couple members said test it first always. And for me once I get the magic number on the stage in sausage when I make it is when it comes out killer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu