Encountering hunters breaking the rules?

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
I ran into a couple of turkey hunters bearing shotguns in Mount Laguna Recreation Area, so I mentioned the area was archery only. At first they seemed surprised, then said they "weren't hunting" (sure buddy.. he was calling turkeys with a shotgun in his hand) and then carried on. I let them be since I don't want to interfere with anyone's hunt. Is there a hunter's etiquette for encountering rule breakers?

I ran into a couple of turkey hunters bearing shotguns in Mount Laguna Recreation Area, so I mentioned the area was archery only. At first, they seemed surprised, then said they "weren't hunting" (sure buddy.. he was calling turkeys with a shotgun in his hand) and then carried on. I let them be since I don't want to interfere with anyone's hunt. Is there a hunter's etiquette for encountering rule breakers?
I encountered the same thing. I think Laguna connects to BLM. They could just be in transit to BLM while scouting Laguna. Just saying, something to consider.

I ran into 3 guys walking around there, one had a bow, another had a shotgun and the other was unarmed. I did not say anything. When they saw me they decided to move away to give me space. I do remember seeing BLM close in the map so I gave the shotgunner the benefit of the doubt.

I encountered the same thing. I think Laguna connects to BLM. They could just be in transit to BLM while scouting Laguna. Just saying, something to consider.

I ran into 3 guys walking around there, one had a bow, another had a shotgun and the other was unarmed. I did not say anything. When they saw me they decided to move away to give me space. I do remember seeing BLM close in the map so I gave the shotgunner the benefit of the doubt.
This was pretty far from BLM plus they were initially saying they could hunt there, so pretty clear they were unaware of the archery restriction. Will remember to give the benefit of the doubt in future cases though where it's less clear.

Tough position to be in and if you're in the outdoors enough unfortunately odds are you will see it. Several years ago my son and I were doing some pre-season upland scouting . We witnessed a band of holigans chasing down a covey of valley quail and blasting them with everything they had. Held my tongue , loaded my son in the truck and headed down the road at a safe distance I made the we tip call. The paoching was bad but the reply I got from DFW was disturbing. I was informed that as unfortunate that the situation was that there was only one agent assigned to the area and he was too far out to be of any assistance , so that was that.

On a brighter note , took the pups out this weekend and had a fantastic weekend training !

Lots of newbies get up there and don't look at rec rules.

Just tell them what's up and point them in the right direction to get the correct info......I always tell them they are lucky they didn't fire their gun, the locals will call the sheriff before you can get back to your truck

Tough position to be in and if you're in the outdoors enough unfortunately odds are you will see it. Several years ago my son and I were doing some pre-season upland scouting . We witnessed a band of holigans chasing down a covey of valley quail and blasting them with everything they had. Held my tongue , loaded my son in the truck and headed down the road at a safe distance I made the we tip call. The paoching was bad but the reply I got from DFW was disturbing. I was informed that as unfortunate that the situation was that there was only one agent assigned to the area and he was too far out to be of any assistance , so that was that.

On a brighter note , took the pups out this weekend and had a fantastic weekend training !

Man, that is terrible. The poaching is rotten but the DFW is more rotten for thier lack of concern. The poaching you witnessed is the whole reason why the DFW/Game Wardens exists!! To enforce fish & game code laws! That's what WE pay them to do!

I found a super fresh (less than 12hrs) deer kill site a few years ago a week before archery season began and it was very apparent that it was poached. I reported it and gave coordinates where it was and I even texted pictures of all of it to the the Game Warden. I pretty much got the same reaction you did. He said, "well I'll try to get up that way in the next few days". I told him I am going to call you back and see what you find out, because it sickens me. It was an area I was scouting for archery for quite a while and then only to have some dipshit mess it all up like that. The 4 bucks I had been seeing there were gone and didn't show the rest of season. When I did call the warden back he did say he saw the kill but there was nothing more he could do at that point. SMH.

I'm sure they probably have a investigation going on for the case they don't like to let stuff like that go and yes they are extremely under staffed with is sad they have way to much on there plate for there under paid job and lack of officers. On there behalf they care a lot about that kinda stuff but unless caugh red handed it takes time sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm sure they probably have a investigation going on for the case they don't like to let stuff like that go and yes they are extremely under staffed with is sad they have way to much on there plate for there under paid job and lack of officers. On there behalf they care a lot about that kinda stuff but unless caugh red handed it takes time sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I get that, I really do. I don't expect them to magically make something happen and instantly catch them. More often than not, cases do take time. But it is extremely disheartening when you do have conversations with these public officials and it is met with a level of disregard that is very off putting. That kind of behavior will change the hearts and minds of sportsmen that truly do have care and concern for our wildlife. I asked if he took a sample to keep on file so it could possibly be cross referenced in other cases and he said no, and that it might have been roadkill that someone took back there to cut up. Ridiculous.

Dont get me wrong, I am very pro Game Warden. I regularly wave them down and want an interaction when I'm hunting in other states. I have some reluctance here in California, it is very different here. Probably a 50/50 shot at best to have a good interaction here in California.

Reactions: CRABBY and CAL'NDN
don't shoot the messenger fellas, he was probably was told by higher ups what he could do or can't do , which is case most of the time.
most of the time I have had fairly good conversations with mr green jeans, only one did I have one guy violating my constitutional rights.
but that's an other story.

don't shoot the messenger fellas, he was probably was told by higher ups what he could do or can't do , which is case most of the time.
No shots fired coming from here, haha. I get ya, but it is sad that, that is probably the case. Unfortunately, then it would seem that is yet another broken system in California.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Knowledge no one else has if you talk right to those guys. Put you on game in a heartbeat. These days we have Nazi's at Walmart.

Most of what they take care of is up north , down here not so much which is to bad.. there are also a lot of salt licks up in the rec area but they don't care about them

I called CalTIP a couple years ago while duck hunting. I was hunting the bay around grizzly island area and saw 2 guys is a boat shooting ducks and not retrieving them. I called and a warden happened to be in the area. 20 minutes this guy in a camo duck boat with a lab retriever cruises up to me and its the warden. He looked like another duck hunter. I pointed out the idiots and he went over and busted them. Last i saw he was following them back to the launch. Made my day.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu