Eurasian collared dove

Feb 5, 2020
I am a new hunter and live really close to Cleveland National Forest I was looking to the year round species and saw that Eurasian doves were on the list. Has anyone hunted these in Cleveland NF or in places near to that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They like grain, melons, & seeds (dry/brown fields)...So you can eliminate all green fields in the IV...They like tall or bushy type trees to roost in...Their daytime roost is normally different than their nighttime roost.

Drive and scout...No substitute for it.

I am a new hunter and live really close to Cleveland National Forest I was looking to the year round species and saw that Eurasian doves were on the list. Has anyone hunted these in Cleveland NF or in places near to that area.

No...Eurasian dove are not abundant in places like the CNF...ironically Eurasians are where people live...yup, where you can't shoot them. Look aro8nd your neighborhood for doves that look a little bigger and you will find them.
They are also abundant in a ranch, farm or cattle feeding ranch. Those places are private and people pay money to go shoot there unless you know someone who owns a ranch. Since Eurasian are no limit people wack them away while hunting the others during dove season.
You can find some here and there in areas where you can hunt but its not like you will find a lot.
Don't let that deter you. Go out and look around. You don't need a big number to have a great time. My first time hunting dove I got 3 and I was stoked.
My next door neighbor owns a cattle feeding ranch and I'm welcome to go anytime but I don't ask why? I hate asking.I'd rather drive and find my birds which I do every year.

If I can add my two cents here.... Now is the time to hunt the IV for Euro's. Its gonna be warming up and they are gonna be heading north from warmer Mexico and its not going to be 120 degrees like it will be in September. During Dove season itself the CNF is a GREAT place to hunt dove. Depending on what part of the CNF you are hunting. I live in Orange County, so the hunting here is none existent. I hear of people doing Quail or Dove hunting but I don't do it here in the OC. The CNF is HUGE in San Diego County and thats where I go. So the CNF in San Diego is a good to go during the season. The Euro's LOVE farmland. So depending on how dedicated you want to be you will need to spend sometime scouting and ASKING. The IV is a TARGET RICH environment to hunt. Be Extremely RESPECTFUL of where you hunt in the IV. The Farmers and Ranchers have been really tolerant to a point. However a few KNUCKLEHEADS can ruin it for everybody and have in certain area's. There are even designated area's to hunt posted on the Fish and Game website. Like the boys mention in this thread, you will be hard pressed to find a good shoot for Euro's in the CNF. If you do some research on past posts on this website on Dove hunting you will be rewarded for your effort. Hunters are EXTREMELY private when it comes to their hunting spots. Don't take anything personal about the silence. Lots of time, money, frustration, and misery goes into finding a great hunting spot. But I can promise you ONE thing. You put the effort in.....you will be rewarded. Good Luck

If I can add my two cents here.... Now is the time to hunt the IV for Euro's. Its gonna be warming up and they are gonna be heading north from warmer Mexico and its not going to be 120 degrees like it will be in September. During Dove season itself the CNF is a GREAT place to hunt dove. Depending on what part of the CNF you are hunting. I live in Orange County, so the hunting here is none existent. I hear of people doing Quail or Dove hunting but I don't do it here in the OC. The CNF is HUGE in San Diego County and thats where I go. So the CNF in San Diego is a good to go during the season. The Euro's LOVE farmland. So depending on how dedicated you want to be you will need to spend sometime scouting and ASKING. The IV is a TARGET RICH environment to hunt. Be Extremely RESPECTFUL of where you hunt in the IV. The Farmers and Ranchers have been really tolerant to a point. However a few KNUCKLEHEADS can ruin it for everybody and have in certain area's. There are even designated area's to hunt posted on the Fish and Game website. Like the boys mention in this thread, you will be hard pressed to find a good shoot for Euro's in the CNF. If you do some research on past posts on this website on Dove hunting you will be rewarded for your effort. Hunters are EXTREMELY private when it comes to their hunting spots. Don't take anything personal about the silence. Lots of time, money, frustration, and misery goes into finding a great hunting spot. But I can promise you ONE thing. You put the effort in.....you will be rewarded. Good Luck

Thank you so much. I’m thinking about going down to The IV I’m the next week with one of my friends... do you think hunting is allowed during all this corona crap

Thank you so much. I’m thinking about going down to The IV I’m the next week with one of my friends... do you think hunting is allowed during all this corona crap

Go for a nice walk

In my humble opinion nothing is better for you than a gun in one hand and the sunshine beating down on you , its as American as you can get. Nothing kills a virus like Sunshine.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu