Failed small game hunt, successful scounting trip

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
Finally finished up my hunters ed this morning! Sped to big 5 and got my A22 tag! Along with the rest of the years tags. That class got me pumped so i took a trip to CNF and went out.

Being a dedicated bow hunter i saw a couple cottontails the short time i was there. Little hard when they are blasting away from you. Saw alot of deer signs and beds. Well i think i did. Are those deer beds?

What started as a small game hunt then turned into a scounting trip the moment i happen to catch a glimpse of a hind leg taking a step.

After playing a cat and mouse game i was able to take a good look at it, at him! I havent had the chance to get some binos but from what i can see looks like a 2x2. This guy was rolling with 2 other spikes. With the wind in my favor i then wanted to see how close i could get. Pinned my location on onx and it came out to 83 yards. got over it and didnt want to put pressure on him. Learned alot this afternoon and was happy i was able to get some deer interaction. 83 yards isnt bad. I know i could get closer. With that being said. I cant wait for the opener.

Sorry for the pics but i only had my phone with me.

.20180714_173721.jpg20180714_181234.jpg20180714_180452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to get after it. I spent a short time afield today as well and didn’t fire a shot but saw a new area and learned stuff. It’s always an adventure out there. Sounds like you had a good one.

Reactions: Sdhunt17

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu