Father's Day in PC

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Kevin (WaterDawg) and I hit Plaster City for a Father's Day euro shoot and it didn't disappoint. Our first spot was slow so we checked out another that we had both scouted before but never hunted, and got some shooting in before the temps rose. Somehow we both shot exactly 22, and were home in time for dinner with the fam. Fun times.

Glad you got over your cold and we were able to go Jason. Yeah that second spot was great, and it’s a good thing because everywhere else was pretty dry. So weird how we both shot the same number?? I bet I Shot more shells than you though lol.

FYI to others: Evan Hewes Highway was shut down (bridge out) between plaster City and Ocotillo.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Glad you got over your cold and we were able to go Jason. Yeah that second spot was great, and it’s a good thing because everywhere else was pretty dry. So weird how we both shot the same number?? I bet I Shot more shells than you though lol.

FYI to others: Evan Hewes Highway was shut down (bridge out) between plaster City and Ocotillo.
the dirt road around it drives pretty smooth.

Kevin,

It really is tough...I went to at least 5 feed lots Friday to just see if they had any birds....Basically zero at all the lots....Something is wrong....From 1000's to barely seeing any.

When I worked for Orkin many years ago....We had a poison called Avitrol….We used it to kill pigeons in LA.... Hard to believe that guys shooting down here killed them all (and most feed lots don't allow any shooting now).

Kevin,

It really is tough...I went to at least 5 feed lots Friday to just see if they had any birds....Basically zero at all the lots....Something is wrong....From 1000's to barely seeing any.

When I worked for Orkin many years ago....We had a poison called Avitrol….We used it to kill pigeons in LA.... Hard to believe that guys shooting down here killed them all (and most feed lots don't allow any shooting now).
Good point Steve. I know zero about cows but if I owned a feed lot I sure wouldn’t want thousands of birds crapping in the cattle feed. Maybe they’re being poisoned?

I know a guy who work for the state killing animals. They don’t use poisons. The state banned them years ago and I highly doubt anyone would use poisons next to a dairy. Think about it birds fly if they drop the poison into the dairy then all the milk which gets tested is no good.

Reactions: WaterDawg
I know a guy who work for the state killing animals. They don’t use poisons. The state banned them years ago and I highly doubt anyone would use poisons next to a dairy. Think about it birds fly if they drop the poison into the dairy then all the milk which gets tested is no good.
True although in the IV they aren’t producing milk, they’re just feeding and storing the cattle. Fattening them up for slaughter I guess? Maybe ECDs numbers are just naturally cyclical, who knows.

Couple things....One, these are not dairys...They're feed lots...Secondly, Avitrol is considered a repellant, but in fact will kill pigeons (ECD's).

What is avitrol for pigeons?
Avitrol, manufactured and marketed by Avitrol Corp, Tulsa, OK, is an avian toxicant used as a chemical frightening agent in pigeons, starlings, blackbirds, sparrows, crows and house sparrows. The active ingredient, 4-aminopyridine, is an acute oral toxicant, which acts on the central and motor nervous system.

Does avitrol kill pigeons?
The misleadingly marketed Avitrol brand poison is used to kill pigeons. Promoted as a “flock frightening agent” or “repellent”, it is in fact a nervous system poison. Birds who consume it suffer convulsions and die.

Kevin,

I made the feedlot rounds on Saturday and had the same experience.... Thought I was going crazy but good to know the birds weren't avoiding me personally

So you don't feel crazy, the euros in the lcra area not as prolific as they had been.

Couple things....One, these are not dairys...They're feed lots...Secondly, Avitrol is considered a repellant, but in fact will kill pigeons (ECD's).

What is avitrol for pigeons?
Avitrol, manufactured and marketed by Avitrol Corp, Tulsa, OK, is an avian toxicant used as a chemical frightening agent in pigeons, starlings, blackbirds, sparrows, crows and house sparrows. The active ingredient, 4-aminopyridine, is an acute oral toxicant, which acts on the central and motor nervous system.

Does avitrol kill pigeons?
The misleadingly marketed Avitrol brand poison is used to kill pigeons. Promoted as a “flock frightening agent” or “repellent”, it is in fact a nervous system poison. Birds who consume it suffer convulsions and die.
Sounds like nasty stuff. I sure hope it isn’t being used in the IV. The mourning doves also heavily use the feedlots.

They spray some sort of poisons over the alfalfa fields we harvest our pheasants from. My mom wont eat any of the birds we would shoot down there

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu