Favorite Elk Bullet

120 grain nosler pt. Fired from a 257wbymag..shot placement perferably in the throat..kapoow ..good night nurse.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Anything that penetrates and retains weight. Only been involved in 2 bull kills and they were both taken with Barnes TTSX.
This year I will either be using Berger Elite Hunters or Hammer Hunters on on my elk hunt. That is if ID opens back up to non residents.

Reactions: JakeSCH
!80 gr. Nosler partition, out of a 300 winmag. Dirt nap medicine. But what it comes down to is bullet placement.

I have'nt shot a lot myself either maybe ten if that but I have had the priviledge to watch to many more fall down helping others. Lots of good bullets out there just do some reading and research. I know from experience that shot placement is the most important factor but one should consider the fact it might all go bad with a poor shot and be able to follow up with a raking shot that may have to penetrate the body length. About twenty five years ago I took a buddy on his first elk hunt (cow hunt guided) and he blew the shot at about 75 yards with a 7mm Weatherby and gut shot it. I was toting a 338 Win mag with 225 Barnes as it got out to about 200 I backed him up as he had not reloaded for another shot and struck the cow from behind with a running away shot and it went from the forward hind quarter and through the chest she fell out of sight about thirty or forty yards away (still proud of my lucky shot as it was a hail Mary to stop a bad situation and my friend thought I was god when I was only lucky). I was glad that day I had a heavy caliber big bullet. My current go to is a 7 Mag with Barnes 160's and it has never let me down as long as I do my part.

I miss my silver tip old Winchester's.
I killed a lot with those.
But ballistics from the post here are 900 years ahead. I use to read the pros discuss
The ballistics and expansion of diffrent
Brands. Manufactures.
I think it's what your rifle likes. And your style of shooting.

Reactions: Smokey58 and skeet
I loved the old silver tips as well still have a few boxes of them but most of my elk have been bow kills so I’m not much help here but I will say a slick truck through the boiler room they usually drop in sight

Reactions: NBK
I’ve only killed one bull and used the .30 cal 180 grain Nosler Partition out of my Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight 30-06. My rifle groups the Partitions and Ballistic Tips the same, so I’ve gone back and forth for deer. Not too sure about what I’d do for elk as far as nonlead is concerned, since I only have the one rifle. Maybe buy a new rifle and designate one as CA only and the other out of state?

I don’t know much as last year was my first year elk hunting, but I got lucky to fill all three tags cow elk tags (over two season). All with .308, two with 168 TTSX and one with 165 grain GMX.

Recovered two of three bullets (GMX left ~150 yards, TTSX right ~250 yards).

I am debating whether to try some of Hammer Hunters next year but still have a lot the other two loaded.

**EDIT** I just weighed them both, TTSX came in at 168.6 gr and GMX came in at 162.4 gr.

DC0066D6-1C00-43BB-A503-61838045F8CA.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu