First Alaskan Moose/Black Bear hunt

CartridgeCalls

Get them in close,get the job done! CartridgeCalls
Nov 12, 2013
Palmdale, CA
www.cartridgecalls.com
Hunting Fort Wainwright Alaska for the first time for Moose and Black Bear.

Any suggestions on what to bring?

I currently have:
Satellite Phone
Game bags
Knives
Scent gear
Moose Call
Cartridgecalls Predator Calls
Browning BAR.338 Winmag and Ruger BlackHawk .44 Mag for Back up
Waterproof boots
Hip Waders
0 deg sleeping bag and foam pad
More camo than you could imagine
Gloves
Bone saw
Gambrel
Flashlights
Portable cell charger
Cold weather and rain gear
Binos
Whiskey for after the hunt

Firearms on plane info other than what is posted on TSA?
I currently have a pelican triple lock case and three locks
I also printed out the rules and regs for the airlines just in case.

Shipping meat home?
I plan on packing about 200lbs of frozen meat home and donating the rest.

Received my licenses and locking tags in the mail yesterday. Leaving on Aug 31 returning September 12. Will 7 days be sufficient in the field? I will be in Hawaii Marlin Fishing the 13-28th so cant change plans.

Im used to hunting a week at a time in CA but up there seems it will be more difficult. I will be staying in a tent by myself for 7 days. the other 5 will be scouting and helping locals drag their game.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I’ve never been to Alaska, or even close to a moose, but it sounds like you’re well covered. The only things not mentioned that I can tell is the obvious; provisions and TP. And maybe a decent knife sharpener.

Hey dude, hard core, good luck on your adventures..
As well on this board might want to address boards with the locals in Alaska. It makes good reading and tips. Those guys live there. And deal with it day to day.
Where's the electric fence for camp.
Rope and smell prove food container. Remember to change clothes after cooking and eating dinner.. keep it separate from sleeping areas.
Use the triangle method for camping. Well separated from each area cooking, sleeping, and pooping.
Lol,,

No guide?....If your hunt is DIY, do you know residents or natives to help with the recovery?

ps....I've never shot a moose, but everyone I know says the same thing....Don't shoot 'em in too deep of water....;)

I'd bring an ICS (In Case Shit) Kit.. duct tape, tourniquet, and matches/firestarter packed into a waterproof container (I use old film canisters or tobacco cans). Maybe some rope too in case you gotta hang meat between pack out runs.. but who knows, the grizz is probably tall enough to grab whatever you hang.

I dunno man I just hunt measly forkies in the 16. Lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu