First Mount

cattledog04

Sep 12, 2017
In October this year my 10y/o and I are going on a combo bull and cow elk hunt in Utah. If our bull is worth mounting (any size might be, being it will be my first bull) how do I plan it? What costs am I looking at? Should we find a taxidermist here in CA or Utah, I guess what I'm asking is, is it easier to bring it back then take it to a taxidermist or have it done there for "freshness" reasons? I honestly don't have any idea how it works. Thanks.

Bowuntr is where I'd start here on SCH.....Does beautiful work and can answer all your questions.....Ed?

Bowuntr is where I'd start here on SCH.....Does beautiful work and can answer all your questions.....Ed?
Bringing it to him on the way home if he can fit in his schedule seems like the easiest thing to me. If you bring it into CA you'll want to know what you need to do to comply with CA law that relates to CWD.

I have never mounted anything, but if I did, I would definitely go with Ed F. All of his mounts (that I have seen on here) look lifelike - not every taxidermist can pull that off.

When you cape it out remember you can never bring to much hide. I don’t cape out the skull I just cut it down the spine and then skin the animal out from the back rib, then I just cut the head off attached to the hide and let the taxidermist finish out the hard work. Ed does my stuff and he is awesome. I think he prefers me doing it this way since would more than likely cause more work for him if I tried caping the skull in the field.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu